Thread: spear gun recommendations

Shark

spear gun recommendations

not sure when, but sometime by the end of spring/summer I want to get a spear gun, I love fishing, love diving of course, and why not marry the 2.

Any thoughts on a good starter spear gun. DO I go all out and spend the big bucks or go small and not so costly?

Talk to Dano at Mako Spearguns. I bought one from him last year and love it.

Barracuda
    Images
    another vote for mako. but, like anything else, it all depends on what and where you hunt. go to spearboard.com. that is a one-stop-shop for speargun knowledge. you can spend literally HOURS on there learning about guns. i love that place. although you may have to lurk. they traditionally take forever to confirm your registration...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

TadPole
    Another vote for Mako. Dano and his crew are top notch with product quality and customer service. I went ahead and bought one of the packages last year and spent most of the summer just practicing here in the murky lake. This summer I will have more time on my hands and live a LOT closer to the ocean so I look forward to taking it out and spearing some monsters lol

Guppy
    I second the comment on "i love that place. although you may have to lurk. they traditionally take forever to confirm your registration..."

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    See what the locals are using.

While Riffe makes a great blue water gun, you really can't free shaft them so I would take them off the list. A big fav for my buds in the keys is the Scubapro Panther. No longer made by SP, but Bandito bought the molds.

Good starter: look at the Billers or JBLs in wood. IMO six of one half dozen of the other. Find one reasonably priced in the ~42 inch range.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Oh. A tip. Most empty wood Billers and jbl's float. Good for free diving. But for scuba, you can fill the grip with lead. If you let the gun go, it should stand up when you let it go.

Fishermen battle huge shark that takes chunk of their catch off Deerfield Beach
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    ouch I bet that pissed off he diver, better it not attached to him though

Thread Information