Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just started DM

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brojack17 View Post
    Yes. That's the minimum to start DM. You have to have 60 to complete.
    When I did my DM, I was told you had to have 60 dives to start, AOW, and Rescue. You have accomplished a lot in your first year of diving. Next year you should be ready for instructor. In my first year I had only about 20 dives including my OW and AOW. Most of those were in Cozumel, I did my AOW there. But the Tulsa Aquanauts weren't around then and it was hard to find dive buddies around here.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

I credit the Aquanauts for getting me comfortable in the water. It would be a lot different if I had to do it all on my own without mentors. Diving at the aquarium really helped too.

I don't know if you heard but we bought a travel trailer. We should be at the lake a lot more this year.

Grouper
    Images
    That will be nice while you are doing classes, DM's don't get paid and will save you the cost of hotel. I usually stay at C&J's bunkhouse if there is room or a fellow Aquanauts house when at Beaver. If at Tenkiller I just drive back and forth. Keep us updated on your progress. I know this time of year there are usually not that mayn classes going on.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Barracuda
    Am I the only one who thinks 40 dives is way too few to be doing your dm? I mean as a divemaster, you're responsible for other divers, you're supposed to be a model diver, to lead dives and have the experience to mentor divers, at 40 dives you've barely started diving and often have yet to figure out alot of things.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    Images
    I personally didn't feel like I was ready to start my DM until I had about 120 dives and felt comfortable leading other divers. But I may be a slower learner than others. I think it all depends on your own abilities and mind since. Plus I figure his instructor will make sure that he will be able to handle the responsibility by the time he finishes his certification.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

I agree with Soonerwink. Plus, these are standards set by PADI. I have an average of 85% on mt tests and a 4 or 5 on my skills. I guided my wife from OW graduate to comfortable diver, so I have taken responsibility for divers. I get that you feel I don't have enough experience, but you don't know me. You haven't seen me dive. I may have a greater level of knowledge and comfort than others with 40 dives. I'm not saying I'm an expert diver but I did feel I was ready to take on DM.

Shark
    first off, don't think you should be able to be a DM with out ocean diving experience-have seen too many DMs that are quarry/hole in the ground taught become wimpering idiots after dropping down to a wreck & getting caught up in wicked current-THEY were the ones that needed tending to
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    first off, don't think you should be able to be a DM with out ocean diving experience-have seen too many DMs that are quarry/hole in the ground taught become wimpering idiots after dropping down to a wreck & getting caught up in wicked current-THEY were the ones that needed tending to
    The same could be said for one who has only done ocean diving and then drops into a lake with 3 ft vis, trees and fishing line everywhere. Either way, being a DM means doing your homework so that you are aware of potential issues and know what to do to mitigate them.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    The same could be said for one who has only done ocean diving and then drops into a lake with 3 ft vis, trees and fishing line everywhere. Either way, being a DM means doing your homework so that you are aware of potential issues and know what to do to mitigate them.
    Agree with both of you. I would hope that the DM no matter where would be familiar with the site and the conditions that can occur. I had a new DM on a dive that was crap as he was not able to find the reef. He went the wrong way from where he was told and had never been to that reef, yet he was the guide. Heck, if I'd known he didn't know where he was going, I would have made the course correction.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

I think there's a difference between a DM for a boat/site and a DM diving on a boat/site. I'm landlocked and at best will only get a few salt water dives in a year. I'll probably get 50+ dives lake dives a year. I only have 40 freshwater dives in but can guide you around three separate sites from memory. If I'm on vacation and go diving there, I would at least get a DM for a guide at first. On a boat, the DM on the boat (good or bad) would be in charge. They would give the instruction. Only in an emergency would I need to step forward and be anything other than another diver.

I see DM similar to getting a driver license. At that point, you have had enough training to operate safely and are responsible for other drivers (both in your car and not). Getting your driver license does not mean you are done learning or improving skills.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information