Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Padi swim test change?

Grouper
    Images

Padi swim test change?

Hey - got a question for any Padi instructors out there.

Took my daughter to her Open water pool portion last night (half done, one more night at the pool, then the more fun stuff).

I advised her before class, for the the swim, choose the longer distance with mask/snorkel/fin - much easier.

Instructor didn't give them an option - 200meters continuous freestyle.

Did this option change in the last year?

Also - they made her take off her wetsuit for her float...ok, ok...that might have been cheating...she's 12, and all skin and bones, so she really had to work to float...I was hoping she would get to use her wetsuit, but guess they saw that as an aid.

No big deal - she did both, a little tired after treading water for 10 minutes - but hey, she's young.

Anyone know about the Mask/fins/snorkel option disappearing?

I think it's funny - this is the same shop that doesn't teach tables anymore. OK, tables aren't important to safety, but sans mask fins snorkel for your swim test.

incidentally - my little girl knows how to use the tables...and a computer, I made sure.

Just like she knows how to use a calculator, and can also add, subtract, multiply, and divide
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

If it has changed, they need to update their own page:

Scuba Certification F.A.Q

swim 200 metres/yards (or 300 metres/yards in mask, fins and snorkel). There is no time limit for this, and you may use any swimming strokes you want.
    I was watching a class recently and they were doing some basic free diver skills which I do not remember having to do.

Grouper
    I checked out my instructor manual, it's a 200 m swim or the 300m mask fin snorkel, but it's really going to be instructor preference there. In the classes I've interned and DMed with usually they just have you do the swim since it's easier to have everyone do the same thing. They do also make you take off wetsuits for any swim tests since they can be considered a float aid, I do feel for your daughter though I'm a sinker as well and it can be difficult to stay up sometimes. A hint for her though if she has to do a float test again like if she decides one day to go on to DM, tell her to lay on her back it's easier than treading water and still counts as floating and makes the no hands part of the DM test much much easier too.

The skindiving part is a diveflexable skill that's thrown in there to give a bit of introduction to the snorkeling/skindiving stuff. You can optionally do a skin diving part in the openwater portion.

Do they just have her doing the PADI computer book? I know you pretty much have 3 options for teaching: the tables, the PADI eRDMPL (both are my personal preference to use the tables first then check them with the eRDMPL since computers can fail), and since computers are becoming more popular they also have a book on computers that comes with the manual in lieu of tables. PADI has a lot of standards that every class has to go by, but there are certain things that are up to the instructor like the swim option or the method of tables. I'm glad that you taught her tables, I just think they are important to know even if you are using a computer not to bash any other instructors methods though.
    Don't worry, be happy.

Grouper
    Images
    yes, they give you an extra book for computers, and a fairly neat online bit - to help you understand the relationship the computer has on multilevel diving.

I believe there was a held breath mask/fin skin dive in my ow class. I was given the impression while it's not required, it's nice to find out what your personal limitations are for swimming distance with a single held breath. I think I did a single complete lab, so that's what, 50 meters? Of course that's 50 meters in a nice calm lap pool - not much relationship to the ocean

She didnt' have to do that.

thanks for the info - I'm glad to know she can do it if she has to...but I did think it was odd that there wasn't an option.

Ray
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Always wondered why it was 300m with fins... seems like it should be 400m. 300m with fins is WAY easier at least for me than 200m no fins. Even better might be to do 300m in gear on the surface.

Shark
    honestly, and I do not agree with this, nor would I ever choose it over the swim test. It needs to be done and I would require one or the other.

WE NEVER DID OUR SWIM TEST, I asked when we would do it. In the pool session I asked how many laps it was or would we do it in the ocean. He said and I quate " I feel the swim test is alittle redundant, anyone can float in water in a wetsuit" Ok being a big guy I was not going to push swimming 200-300meter swim. I knew I could do it, even at my weight, heck as a kid I swam a cross a good size(indiana size) lake. Had I not known I could do it I would have asked to.

I had asked here, with concerns about doing it. Given my weight I float, and could have done the the treading water part a sleep.

If I was an instructor, "might be one day, I would give the option to choice". I think the taking the wetsuit off can be explained, better she be able to tread without it, should she be in florida without a wetsuit.

If my instructor said that, I would go somewhere else. Having a minimum ability to swim is not mitigated by a wetsuit. PADI is already a bare minimum cert so cutting items from it is a bad idea to me.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Always wondered why it was 300m with fins... seems like it should be 400m. 300m with fins is WAY easier at least for me than 200m no fins. Even better might be to do 300m in gear on the surface.
    Agree with all of that. Also that regardless of one's opinion on whether the 200 meter without fins (who cares about mask & snorkel?) should be a requirement and not an option: If PADI says the student has the option of swimming OR mask/fins/snorkel, I feel the student should have the OPTION of either. OR, PADI should change the rules. I've read so much about this on various forums, and it seems there is only one option--whichever one the instructor decides to offer! In one case, I heard that the class took a VOTE on which to do, and ALL had to do that one. Instructors: if PADI's rules remain as they are, the option should be given to each student individually--of course, that takes more pool time.....

Interesting note: For my OW class we only did the 300 mask/fins/snorkel, not the 200. For PADI DM course, I could barely make 200 of the required TIMED 400 yds./meters swim without hocking up a lung. This was because though I was on the HS swim team 40 years ago, I hadn't swam a stroke since. No interest in swimming. SO, my swim technique had gone to pot. After training, I got a "3" on the 400 and passed the DM stamina tests. Due to distance to pool and gas costs, don't ask me to do the 400 today. The required 800 with masks/fins/snorkel, sure-- no technique required there--just strong legs and a good snorkel. On the other hand, I have always considered myself one of the most comfortable people in the water that I know. How important is the 200 swim? Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post
    Hey - got a question for any Padi instructors out there.

Took my daughter to her Open water pool portion last night (half done, one more night at the pool, then the more fun stuff).

I advised her before class, for the the swim, choose the longer distance with mask/snorkel/fin - much easier.

Instructor didn't give them an option - 200meters continuous freestyle.

Did this option change in the last year?
    The PADI Instructor manual states:

At some point before certification, have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.
    It doesn't really say whether the student or the instructor gets to decide which test. It is entirely possible that the instructor felt it was his choice.

Also - they made her take off her wetsuit for her float...ok, ok...that might have been cheating...she's 12, and all skin and bones, so she really had to work to float...I was hoping she would get to use her wetsuit, but guess they saw that as an aid.
    Normally the swim test must be done without a wetsuit but there is an option to allow wetsuit if the student is weighted for neutral buoyancy. So if the wetsuit made her float, she'd have to wear a weight belt with enough weights to be neutral. I suspect the instructor just couldn't be bothered determine how much weight was needed to compensate for the wetsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    honestly, and I do not agree with this, nor would I ever choose it over the swim test. It needs to be done and I would require one or the other.

WE NEVER DID OUR SWIM TEST, I asked when we would do it. In the pool session I asked how many laps it was or would we do it in the ocean. He said and I quate " I feel the swim test is alittle redundant, anyone can float in water in a wetsuit" Ok being a big guy I was not going to push swimming 200-300meter swim. I knew I could do it, even at my weight, heck as a kid I swam a cross a good size(indiana size) lake. Had I not known I could do it I would have asked to.

I had asked here, with concerns about doing it. Given my weight I float, and could have done the the treading water part a sleep.

If I was an instructor, "might be one day, I would give the option to choice". I think the taking the wetsuit off can be explained, better she be able to tread without it, should she be in florida without a wetsuit.
    This makes me wonder what other things your instructor decided was redundant.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    Images
    Agree with SD888 & the rest with no swim, Big!
    In one of my classes, a student couldn't swim 100 m--he was not allowed to do the check-out dives. He was a danger to himself, the other students and to the DMs.
    I really respected my instructor for the way he handled this situation, and a couple more that same semester.

@rayaa--congratulations with your daughter and her OW!
    Thanks for raising the questions as I'm always learning!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information