Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egypt Trip

Grouper
    Images
    Vlane has it right. If the protesters in Egypt can get Mubarak to leave, there may be the chance of a real democracy ensuing. Unfortunately, there may also be the chance of an extremist regime taking over (like what happened in Iran when the Shah was ousted).
    The whole area is too unstable at the moment with Jordan and Yemen following what has happened in Tunisia and Egypt.
    Too much of a risky situation that I'm not prepared to get caught up in.

Barracuda
    Images
    Just got a note from my friend in Luxor. He says things are about 90 % back to normal. He thinks Cairo will be back to bussiness pretty quick. We're looking at things day by day right now as far as our March trip. Hopeful ?

Grouper

Stronger Travel Warning Issued ~ Sun Feb 6th

"Despite what appears to be greater calm on the streets in Egypt over the weekend, the State Department sent out a new Travel Warning on Sunday, Feb. 6, that instructs all American citizens to leave Egypt now.

The new, stronger alert replaces a previous Travel Warning from Feb. 1 that called for the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel and their families. The State Department had been chartering planes to help evacuate American citizens from Cairo, but those flights have now stopped. Nevertheless, the new Travel Warning calls for all citizens to leave Egypt, noting the potential for more violence in the offing."

State Department to Americans in Egypt: Get out now | The Cable

I plan on staying clear of the Middle East... the rest of my life. Plenty of great places to visit that don't have radicalized anti-American populations in close proximity, active revolts or repressive regimes. I am sure that they are wonderful places but there are plenty of wonderful calm beaches and great diving in stable welcoming countries.

Funeral Jorunna
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Just got a note from my friend in Luxor. He says things are about 90 % back to normal. He thinks Cairo will be back to bussiness pretty quick. We're looking at things day by day right now as far as our March trip. Hopeful ?
    I'd think twice. What airline are you using most have stopped flights.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Barracuda
    Images
    Got the word last night that our trip is off due to the airlines not staring flights back up in time. We were using Delta. We were leaning towards not going til the fall anyway. Give it some time to settle down. It would be a great time as there would be fewer tourists, went in Nov 2001 and there were very few tourist so we got to see alot more as there were no lines or restrictions. Think we're going to go to Coz for a week maybe?
    When we get another trip together I'll ost incase anyone is interested.

Grouper
    Images
    Mubarak has stepped down, thank God!

Hopefully this is the beginning of change and things will settle down before April (fingers crossed).

Shark
    I hope it works out. plus hope the next guy does not upset the people while your there

Shark
    I went to East Timor a few years ago and a few months before they over through the government...the Police and the Army exchanged gunfire...left a few dead...then the Aussie's landed. It was a last minute decision to go as Merpati had just resumed flights....Some of the best diving I have done!....hopefully flights will resume and all will be OK!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information