Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: preparing for penetration

Shark

preparing for penetration

With all the wreck diving here, my goals of doing some serious wreck diving, and my desire to go inside, I want to begin to prepare for that, not now, tomorrow, or next week, more of a long term goal. I know the basic wreck cert does not include penetration, or well padi does not or atleast much of it.
    So should I go to Sdi/tdi, look for a good wreck diver to just go with, or alittle of both. Of course I do not just want to buy a reel(did that) and just go inside.

Barracuda
    First - there are two types of penetration. The very limited recreational level penetration and then everything else. PADI and others do teach the limited rec level penetration. I don't remember the limits but its pretty restrictive. Everything else is pretty much a tech level endeveor.

If you want to really learn to penetrate wrecks, many advocate a cavern/cave class first. While not essential, it will teach buoyancy, reels and air management. Advanced nitrox/deco procedures are another good start. They cover extended range diving, deco and air management as well. TDI and IANTD also offer technical wreck classes which take parts of cave training and deco training and apply it to wrecks.

Also - plan on dropping a wad of cash on gear, gas fills and training to do it right.

Shark
    I know padi teachs within the light zone, much like cavern, bonne terre told me it was a good to do intro to cave or cavern to prepare for it. They also said they spend alot more time on reels training and air management then others require.

Everything cost money, nothing ever cheap was worth doing
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    First - there are two types of penetration. The very limited recreational level penetration and then everything else. PADI and others do teach the limited rec level penetration. I don't remember the limits but its pretty restrictive. Everything else is pretty much a tech level endeveor.

If you want to really learn to penetrate wrecks, many advocate a cavern/cave class first. While not essential, it will teach buoyancy, reels and air management. Advanced nitrox/deco procedures are another good start. They cover extended range diving, deco and air management as well. TDI and IANTD also offer technical wreck classes which take parts of cave training and deco training and apply it to wrecks.

Also - plan on dropping a wad of cash on gear, gas fills and training to do it right.

Advanced wreck diving is technical diving. For decompression diving, wreck diving or cave diving you cannot swim to the surface. In an emergency, swimming to the surface (Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent) is an option for recreational divers. For technical divers this is not an option. In some cases you just physically cannot swim directly to the surface. In other cases swimming to the surface will result in DCS or death.

Things to consider:

1. Physical fitness level
    2. Equipment cost
    3. Gas and service costs

If you look at the requirements to be a GUE technical diver:

• Swim 400 yards in under 14 minutes
    • Swim 20 yards on one breath
    • Turn on and off your valves underwater

Many recreational divers would be unable to do these. If you cannot do these then you need to get in better shape. Remember these are minimums. Ideally, you want to be able to swim 400 yards in 10 minutes and 50 yards on one breath.

For the equipment, most the equipment which is fine for recreational diving is insufficient for technical diving. If your equipment isn't sufficient you will need new regulators, BP/W, fins, etc. Even if it is, you will still need doubles, canister light, backup light, backup mask, etc. I was told to expect to spend $3000 to $5000 for new equipment.

Then there is keeping everything in good working order plus filling the tanks with gas. A $7 air fill is no longer an option. You will probably have to make sure all your equipment is oxygen clean. You'll need to service doubles, stage bottles, deco bottle. Filling the doubles will probably cost you $100 in trimix. 100% oxygen in the deco bottle will be $25 to $50 plus the stage bottles. You could easily spend $200 on a single dive.

A lot of technical divers will work for a shop so they can service their own gear. They'd be factory trained on the gear. They might even get some friends together and set up their own compressor system.

At this point, I'd recommend you find some instructors who teach technical diving (cave or wreck, doesn't matter). Talk them and see what they recommend. Depending on the agency they will recommend some fundamentals courses that will benefit anyone going towards wreck diving. I know TDI, GUE and IANTD are good agencies. There might be more but try going to their website to find an instructor in your area. Talk to the instructors and see what they recommend as a plan to become a full wreck diver.

You could also ask them about the costs involved. All the technical instructors I've met and trust will tell you right up front how much it will cost. If they are vague or tell you it is just a few hundred dollars, walk away.
    This signature left intentionally blank

I just want to point out the unfortunate name of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    I know padi teachs within the light zone, much like cavern, bonne terre told me it was a good to do intro to cave or cavern to prepare for it. They also said they spend alot more time on reels training and air management then others require.

Everything cost money, nothing ever cheap was worth doing
    Actually, the PADI Wreck Diver has most of it left to the discretion of the instructor. Some instructors will teach you how to avoid hurting yourself while swimming around a wreck. Others will teach you to enter within the light zone (cavern) using a reel. If you get an instructor who does full wreck penetration and uses PADI Wreck Diver as an intro to wreck diving they will have you go well inside a wreck. The rule is that depth plus distance in must not exceed 130 feet. So you can penetrate a wreck at 30 feet as much as 100 feet. Or if the wreck was at 105 feet, you can only enter as far as 25 feet.

There is nothing in the PADI standard which talks about reel training or air management. So anything taught in this area is beyond the minimum requirements of PADI. If you learned wreck diving in my area, most the wrecks are between 80 and 235 feet. The majority of recreational depth wrecks are around 100 to 110 feet. The instructors around here will spend a lot of time showing you how to work a reel. Some however assume you know your own limitation for gas usage.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    I did it in place of preparing for wreck diving cause it could be full penetration or running around the outside. We did the diving out side the wreck decision. Hey at least I did not say ohh I went inside the spegial 200 feet and need to know how not to die the next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have nothing to add... Just want to chuckle at Big's response to Straegen.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I was tempted to reply, "dinner and a movie?" but I restrained myself...
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark
    Loll lmao

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information