Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wreck cert instructor in or near the keys

Shark

wreck cert instructor in or near the keys

Ok me and my dad did a horrific shore dive from hell today, the waves were bad and I got bounced around and ended but calling the dive. My dad went with the guy we meet there and I hung on shore, on the way home we got talking and I told him we were local and no reason to go when it is bad out. We got talking about boat dive and doing the spegiel, he told me he would like to do the wreck cert before had or on the wreck. I told him I did not want padis thank you here is a cert card and non penetration training.

Not looking to do a class then start going inside but want good training to start that way.

I thought about hitting sdi/tdis site, but figured someone would know a shop or instructor who we could do it with, and get some training on reels and penetration. More a stepping stone note a whole full wreck penetration class, just ALITTLE. So can you recommend a shop in the keys, Miami, ft lauderdale, honestly I would drive to daytona to get some good wreck training, though the keys would be nice as we are here. Do not care about which agency or if it is an individual, just that it is worth the time and money

Barracuda
    I don't think you need to be penetrating a wreck nor taking a wreck penetration course as a quote "stepping stone", stick to the outside of the wreck no cert is needed.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    You either do wreck penetration or none at all. There is no stepping point.

Especially for someone your size, I'd work on losing weight before trying to squeeze into ships.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Biggie, you've gone from barely just certified to wanting training to penetrate wrecks. A bit too quickly, my friend. And, not to offend, by SlvrDragon is right about that weight issue for diving cramped quarters of a wreck. Just my 2 psi...
    Last edited by Vercingetorix; 02-10-2011 at 17:53.
    rick

Grouper
    Gotta agree. A half-arsed course would be incredibly dangerous, too. Just too much temptation to push it a little further.

Biggie, IMO you're neither physically or mentally ready and you won't be for a while. Relax, enjoy your diving, build your skills & fitness and develop your experience & discipline. Give it time, yeah?

Maybe do some maritime archeology courses in the meantime. Learning how to chart a site, identify structural parts and a bit about preservation is a great way to learn more about shipwrecks. I'm sure one of the universities in the USA runs something similar to AIMA pt.1
    Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology - Home Page
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Shark
    Not look for a half-arsed course, more looking for a goof class, the penetration training does not worry me alot more so a good class with alot of infomation and not just here is the wreck you go down look around and come back up
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    Gotta agree. A half-arsed course would be incredibly dangerous, too. Just too much temptation to push it a little further.

Biggie, IMO you're neither physically or mentally ready and you won't be for a while. Relax, enjoy your diving, build your skills & fitness and develop your experience & discipline. Give it time, yeah?

Maybe do some maritime archeology courses in the meantime. Learning how to chart a site, identify structural parts and a bit about preservation is a great way to learn more about shipwrecks. I'm sure one of the universities in the USA runs something similar to AIMA pt.1
    Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology - Home Page

Shark
    maybe something to think about instead which would benifit us alot with the deeper wrecks here is doing the deep diver course.

Shark
    Now how could someone with a cartmen picture offend any one, you and slvrdragon make a good point, not looking to go inside well maybe stick my head in and look inside, more training to know what to do, where to go, and the best way to dive the local wrecks, that is why I wonder if the deep cert is not a better idea since alot of the big wrecks are below 100 feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    Biggie, you've gone from barely just certified to wanting to wanting taining to penetrate wrecks. A bit too quickly, my friend. And, not to offend, by SlvrDragon is right about that weight issue for diving cramped quarters of a wreck. Just my 2 psi...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    Now how could someone with a cartmen picture offend any one, you and slvrdragon make a good point, not looking to go inside well maybe stick my head in and look inside, more training to know what to do, where to go, and the best way to dive the local wrecks, that is why I wonder if the deep cert is not a better idea since alot of the big wrecks are below 100 feet
    I don't believe the deep cert teaches you proper gas planning in which case it's worthless in my opinion, besides if you're going deep you ought to be on trimix. Also the bolded part is not what you said in your original post... "I thought about hitting sdi/tdis site, but figured someone would know a shop or instructor who we could do it with, and get some training on reels and penetration."

When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    Not look for a half-arsed course, more looking for a goof class,
    Worse. Either do something properly, or don't do it at all.

the penetration training does not worry me alot
    It should.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information