Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Training for Military Co-op

Shark
    Update: When looking at my weights this morning, I did not have 70lbs on the bench press yesterday, I had 80lbs. So I made an improvement afterall
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Shark
    I found a sparring partner, my brother got too mouthy one too many times
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Update: When looking at my weights this morning, I did not have 70lbs on the bench press yesterday, I had 80lbs. So I made an improvement afterall
    If you're doing 12 reps at 80 lbs up the weight more so you can just barely pump out 10 reps
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If you're doing 12 reps at 80 lbs up the weight more so you can just barely pump out 10 reps
    the increments are 10, 15, and 25. the next step up is 100lbs, and my mom wouldn't be strong enough to spot me

I have not heard you complaining about being sore. I would think you should be feeling a little bit of soreness. An important fact to remember.....this will not be an overnight event. It requires a long term lifestyle change. So increase the weights slowly, vary the workouts to keep the muscles confused, and rox has excellent advice: 10-12 reps max, 3 sets. That means any exercise should not exceed 30-36 reps.

Keep it up! The third-fifth day is when lots of people quit! We are all cheering for you!
    Last edited by bfmorgan; 02-15-2011 at 15:19. Reason: corrected spelling error

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmorgan View Post
    I have not heard you complaining about being sore. I would think you should be feeling a little bit of soreness. An important fact to remember.....this will not be an overnight event. It requires a long term lifestyle strange. So increase the weights slowly, vary the workouts to keep the muscles confused, and rox has excellent advice: 10-12 reps max, 3 sets. That means any exercise should not exceed 30-36 reps.

Keep it up! The third-fifth day is when lots of people quit! We are all cheering for you!
    I have been sore, I just realised that complaining don't fix anything. if it would make you feel better, I will though ;P

Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    I have been sore, I just realised that complaining don't fix anything. if it would make you feel better, I will though ;P
    I was concerned that you may be doing too many reps with too heavy a weight. I know Canadians are tough, but I didn't want you to be in tons of pain because you are trying to progress too quickly.

Also consider working the same set of muscles every other day. This will allow the muscles time to repair themselves and get stronger. So do upper body one day, lower body the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmorgan View Post
    I was concerned that you may be doing too many reps with too heavy a weight. I know Canadians are tough, but I didn't want you to be in tons of pain because you are trying to progress too quickly.

Also consider working the same set of muscles every other day. This will allow the muscles time to repair themselves and get stronger. So do upper body one day, lower body the next day.
    Not only in pain but repetitive stress injuries are far more common without quality rest between exercises. Back when I boxed, it was considered necessary to skip every third day from lifting. Now I am a firm believer in completely skipping static weight building altogether. All about the core and full motion exercises.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Not only in pain but repetitive stress injuries are far more common without quality rest between exercises. Back when I boxed, it was considered necessary to skip every third day from lifting. Now I am a firm believer in completely skipping static weight building altogether. All about the core and full motion exercises.
    Same here, and this is where the military has really moved to as well, lots of crosstraining, crossfit, cardio and plyometric workouts

Shark
    Tuesday and Wednesday were break days for me. Anyways, I can now do enough sit-ups to qualify for the co-op, and every one of my categories gained an astounding improvement

February 17th, 2011
    Weight 274lbs (3 less than Monday)
    Pushups: 16 (4 more than Monday)
    Sit Ups: 19 (4 more than Monday)
    Curls: 21 at 50lbs (5 more than Monday)
    Bench Press: 16 at 80lbs (3 more than Monday)
    Lat Machine: 70 at 50lbs (8 more than Monday)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information