Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best way to dive the wreck

I for one think he should keep asking, keep learning and keep diving. There are a lot of divers who do not use Nitrox, no interest in doing so and it is far from a necessity. 15 years ago Nitrox for recreational diving was considered bad by many divers.

My advice is to keep going on the dives and keep practicing skills. Dives that are new to you go with a good DM even if you are certified to do the dive.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I for one think he should keep asking, keep learning and keep diving. There are a lot of divers who do not use Nitrox, no interest in doing so and it is far from a necessity. 15 years ago Nitrox for recreational diving was considered bad by many divers.
    While Nitrox may have been voodoo gas at one point we know better today. Now it's benefits change as your get deeper because your using a mixture that may not bring enough benefits to justify the cost. If we could always get any mix easy for the same cost as air then diving the perfect mix for every dive would be the way to go. I think for many ways Bigman you should look into a nitrox class. You seem to be in a higher risk category for DCS(sorry but this is from what you've posted about yourself) and any benefit you get will be good.

FWIW I've done a few long deco dives on the Spiegel with just air as a BT gas.

Grouper
    Images
    Nothing wrong with asking questions, more worrisome for me is providing decompression dive plans to the untrained. Those calculations are based on personal physiology/experience and do not apply to everyone. IMO
    Rick

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by comet24 View Post
    While Nitrox may have been voodoo gas at one point we know better today. Now it's benefits change as your get deeper because your using a mixture that may not bring enough benefits to justify the cost. If we could always get any mix easy for the same cost as air then diving the perfect mix for every dive would be the way to go. I think for many ways Bigman you should look into a nitrox class. You seem to be in a higher risk category for DCS(sorry but this is from what you've posted about yourself) and any benefit you get will be good.

FWIW I've done a few long deco dives on the Spiegel with just air as a BT gas.
    guess i'm lucky-pay the same for air as up to 40%(don't ask me, i'm not telling!)
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatrax View Post
    Nothing wrong with asking questions, more worrisome for me is providing decompression dive plans to the untrained. Those calculations are based on personal physiology/experience and do not apply to everyone. IMO
    No bustin his chops for posting HIS dive plan. It really served to illustrate just how complicated and envolved safe deep diving really is. Trust me people post info here that could be FAR more dangerous than a pretty smart deco dive plan. It made me think I should be taking GAS course work past Nitrox. It has got Biggie thinking about a rebreather some time next week. lol

Shark
    I bet it is alittle shop that is great price wize and does fills by the cuft and not a tank fill, so you pay for what they put in it and not wait the tank would hold. I have talked with you about them before, not to far from you and a tech shop.

I wont give up the name since you did not, though I wonder if I am right
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    guess i'm lucky-pay the same for air as up to 40%(don't ask me, i'm not telling!)

Shark
    Everyone has given good info, I ask most questions here because for the most part everyone is friendly and respective of everyone. Sure we all jump on each other from time to time and get in heated discussions.

I was planning a new S&W 357 snubnose since I got my carry permit but think the nitrox class will be abetter investment. I planned and sitll plan on it when we get back from indiana, but did not plan it before the speigel dive. I wanted to dive it on the dive, but did not think it was a real need.

I also see nothing wrong with the posting of the dive plans, that honestly were alittle over my head. I (though some may) am not going to just take a dive plan off here and figure it fits me and my needs. When we do the dive I will make sure to discuss it with the DM and such. Likely I will do it with rainbow reef since they run a good boat and offer guides for free

Barracuda
    In short, the trouble with posting deco plans is that it looks much simpler on paper than it is in reality. There is a lot of serious danger in just blindly following a dive plan, especially a deeper plan.

Barracuda
    I agree with Jack, I frown on posting deco plans in threads like these!
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Shark
    you do make a point, some maybe even non cert divers might use a plan incorrectly and it turn out bad. We had a guy at a hotel on the way up here say he always wanted to do it. He said he bought a tank and is half way there. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    In short, the trouble with posting deco plans is that it looks much simpler on paper than it is in reality. There is a lot of serious danger in just blindly following a dive plan, especially a deeper plan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information