Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: best way to dive the wreck

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    No bustin his chops for posting HIS dive plan. It really served to illustrate just how complicated and envolved safe deep diving really is. Trust me people post info here that could be FAR more dangerous than a pretty smart deco dive plan. It made me think I should be taking GAS course work past Nitrox. It has got Biggie thinking about a rebreather some time next week. lol
    It is only a smart plan for Dave as it is based on a conservatism factor that agrees with his physiology and uses a RMV value based on his historical gas consumption. It is not just Tim but every guest and future diver that reads these posts and sees just how simple a deep deco dives "appears" on paper.

Not busting Dave's chops, just expressing my opinion and it should be valued at exactly what you paid for it
    Rick

TadPole
    you could always have a pony and put 36 or 40 in it and use that when you start your ascent. Deep dive is first shallower as the day goes on. your plan of diving sounds good. assuming your nitrox cert. i would use it if anything for more bottom time assuming your SAC allows it if not just use air and save the money for some seafood dinner.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatrax View Post
    It is only a smart plan for Dave as it is based on a conservatism factor that agrees with his physiology and uses a RMV value based on his historical gas consumption. It is not just Tim but every guest and future diver that reads these posts and sees just how simple a deep deco dives "appears" on paper.

Not busting Dave's chops, just expressing my opinion and it should be valued at exactly what you paid for it
    You actually make my point. To none tech divers a simple plan is to put on a tank, dive to the wreck and come up when you are low on air. By comparison Dave's pan looks very complex and is full of things we don't know about or understand.
    Serves to make me think. My guess is his post had a similar effect on other non tech divers.

And yes you are bustin his chops, else you could let it go. Just as I am bustin your chops cause I won't let it go.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafcheck View Post
    you could always have a pony and put 36 or 40 in it and use that when you start your ascent. Deep dive is first shallower as the day goes on. your plan of diving sounds good. assuming your nitrox cert. i would use it if anything for more bottom time assuming your SAC allows it if not just use air and save the money for some seafood dinner.
    Biggie - Another example of why you should find a local mentor for deeper diving, preferably someone who also does tech and can help you to understand what gasses are used and why as well as why certain things are used/not used.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Biggie - Another example of why you should find a local mentor for deeper diving, preferably someone who also does tech and can help you to understand what gasses are used and why as well as why certain things are used/not used.

.... like an instructor, who teaches adv nitrox & deco procedures....."mentors" can be insufficiently trained & still think they wrote the book
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    [/B]
    .... like an instructor, who teaches adv nitrox & deco procedures....."mentors" can be insufficiently trained & still think they wrote the book
    Excellent point, I'm glad you brought it up. Finding a mentor is a process and much more involved than just latching on to the first person who seems knowlegable, it takes time and commitment to diving with different people and keeping an open mind. Still, it's a far better starting point than reading online advice and deco schedules for a dive to 130' followed by just switching a pony with 40 or 36 when it's time to come up.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    [/B]
    So can some instructors... it pays to shop around.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
    So can some instructors... it pays to shop around.
    touche!
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Shark
    I'm not so sure why a dive plan for a wreck is such a hard thing to grasp, especially talking non-decompression.

Deep stops - in no-deco diving, I would ignore them, period. IMO, (and in many studies), its been shown that a slow ascent is more important than the deep stops themselves. Besides, if you are going to be doing stops, you are going to spend the time underwater. It is much more beneficial to take that time you might spend at a deep stop depth, and instead move it to an extended shallow stop, between 10 and 20 feet... Run the numbers and almost across the board, given a no-deco dive, that moving any time spent on a deep stop instead to an extended shallow stop, and you will find less theoretical nitrogen loading in the controlling compartment...

But, I digress... if you want to get your moneys worth on the boat dives, get nitrox first, plan the dive giving the NDL for your mix at your planned depth, taking into account your SAC rate, combine the two for how long you expect to be able to stay in that general area. Then, once you are underwater, keep those numbers in mind, but follow your computer as well. It will give you more NDL as the dive progresses, as you won't be spending all of your time at your maximum depth.

Regardless whether its a good idea to do the deep dive first, you will get more NDL time doing the deep dive first.
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Shark
    SEE this thread shows why ST is so much better then most the other forums, we can all disagree, make our arugment and avoid to much personal attacking and name calling. Plus there is always a laugh out there somewhere in the days discussions LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information