Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best way to dive the wreck

Shark

best way to dive the wreck

When we return from indiana(leaving in a day or two and be back in a week or two) we want to dive the spegiel, and of course the other wrecks are on the list, but the speigel is first. I noticed some of the shops offer double dives on the wreck, or say the speigel and the duane or another wreck, or a wreck and reef dive.

I am thinking do a double dive on the speigel, first dive go down the back to the deeper part( not the bottom just the deeper of the two dives), then the second go up to the front(shallower). Of course both are non pen dives likely air.

Any thoughts is this how you would do it or do like a wreck and reef dive

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    When we return from indiana(leaving in a day or two and be back in a week or two) we want to dive the spegiel, and of course the other wrecks are on the list, but the speigel is first. I noticed some of the shops offer double dives on the wreck, or say the speigel and the duane or another wreck, or a wreck and reef dive.

I am thinking do a double dive on the speigel, first dive go down the back to the deeper part( not the bottom just the deeper of the two dives), then the second go up to the front(shallower). Of course both are non pen dives likely air.

Any thoughts is this how you would do it or do like a wreck and reef dive
    I wouldn't do it on air.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

That one looks like a good Nitrox dive. Wouldn't hit the floor but 32 would be safe.

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    I wouldn't dive it on air either. I'd prefer 30% if you can get it.

Remember your deep stops. And longer ss than standard at 15 feet.

Grouper
    Images
    Ditto on the nitrox. I've double dipped on the Grove several times and wouldn't consider it on air.

Unless you just want to dive the bow and stern, I personally would stick to the 4 midship moorings. The stern lines are right at 100' and the bow is 90' or so. The cranes, on the other hand, are around 65'. Lots to see between 65' and 90'. You can still start your dive deeper and work your way up and still have wreck to explore.

Just my opinion, but I don't like spending time on a line that I could be spending on the wreck...

Nitrox all the way. We dove it and actually did three safety stops, 70', 40' and the 15'. That may have been a bit conservative, 60' and 15' would have been okay I think. Make sure you listen to your computer, even if it does not agree with other computers. Your computer will take your air consumption and subsequent absorbtion into account for your personal dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    I wouldn't dive it on air either. I'd prefer 30% if you can get it.

Remember your deep stops. And longer ss than standard at 15 feet.
    I always wondered what the recommended deep stop for rec diving really is on Nitrox. Is it half from the max depth or half from the modified EAN max depth? Does it really matter so long as a diver goes slow and stops briefly on the way to the safety stop?

Shark
    might wait till we do nitrox then guys, thanks

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I always wondered what the recommended deep stop for rec diving really is on Nitrox. Is it half from the max depth or half from the modified EAN max depth? Does it really matter so long as a diver goes slow and stops briefly on the way to the safety stop?
    Good question for one of our forum members who has advanced gas planning training and plays with V planner software I suppose. The way I look at it, taking a stop at 1/2 my max depth and a longer than recommended one at 15 ft is better than not and that is all I need to know for diving within a recreational profile.

Barracuda Founding Member
    There is still debate over deep stops. V-planner tell me I don't start off gassing until about 60' when diving 32% to 120' for 15 minutes. Now at time and your start off gassing a little deeper but your likely be into deco at that point. So understand your deep stops. Someone talked about doing three of them and starting at 70' Problem is on a dive like this your not gaining any benefit and may likely still be on gassing depending on the gas your diving. More important is a slow accent especially from half your depth to the surface.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information