Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the worst and best thing you have seen a lds do

Shark

what is the worst and best thing you have seen a lds do

Ok what is the worst and best thing you have seen a lds do for you or well to you.

The worst is well part my fault for trusting him, when I went to one lds for tanks I told him I come to you because I did not want stuck with bad alloy tanks, when I got home and looking them over I looked up how to check. I did not like what I found, all 3 were older then 86 and one had never been eddied even though it was in his rental lot.

Besides the deals and helps from St which I would not call local but my LDS the other local shop has been good to us, he gave us like 25% off my dads gear which is scubapro, a no no from what I was told by another scubapro shop.
    Both shops are in indiana

The ones down in key largo seem to be killer good or just suck, I have seen little customer service form a few and one just blew me off about steel tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    Ok what is the worst and best thing you have seen a lds do for you or well to you.
    The ones down in key largo seem to be killer good or just suck, I have seen little customer service form a few and one just blew me off about steel tanks.
    This is one of the unwritten laws of business......you will find the philosophy of the owner displayed by business practices.You will find few businesses in the middle, they will be very good, very customer oriented, or it's all about me, I need to maximize profits, customers aren't really important.

As a former business owner, I can assure you success is tied directly to your regular customers. It costs money to find new customers, so keep your regular returning customers and make sure they feel very important.

Michigan's bad economy has taken care of the poor performing shops. We went from about 5 LDS' to two. My local LDS is fair, reasonable prices, excellent service. Scubatoys is another example of one of the good businesses. They appreciate their customers, are fair, and provide excellent service.

My advice, find a LDS that you like and take care of them. Make sure the one you pick values you as a customer and takes care of you. It is a relationship that is worth cultivating.

I don't look for absolute lowest price. I look for value. That is a combination of product quality, price, service, support, advice, experience.

Shark Founding Member
    My LDS that's about 2 miles from my house always tries to give us something extra everytime we shop there. For instance, they hadn't charged us for using tanks and the pool twice to check out gear, which is normally $10/person. The 3rd time we went, I expected to be charged for the pool use, but wound up buying a mask and wasn't charged for the pool session. Although they didn't discount the mask (they usually give us 10% off of just about everything), I figure the $60 we saved on pool time was a fantastic discount.

They're always excellent about letting you use the pool (for free) to try out any gear you're considering buying from them, and have no qualms about letting you take your own gear into the pool to practice skills or check out gear before a trip. We've never heard a peep from them about buying our gear at ScubaToys, and they happily service our regs each year. Good outfit and although we don't buy too much stuff from them, we find ourselves buying stuff there at least once a year.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Shark
    just goes to show a money discount ant always the best. One of our shops told us we could tang along to the nice clear warm water of the quarry where they have 100% access to that they do certs at, not very deep, but has some platforms and such to check gear and a dive spot. If I get stuck in indiana doing college classes this summer likely will be my only diving since my only buddy will be in florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    My LDS that's about 2 miles from my house always tries to give us something extra everytime we shop there. For instance, they hadn't charged us for using tanks and the pool twice to check out gear, which is normally $10/person. The 3rd time we went, I expected to be charged for the pool use, but wound up buying a mask and wasn't charged for the pool session. Although they didn't discount the mask (they usually give us 10% off of just about everything), I figure the $60 we saved on pool time was a fantastic discount.

They're always excellent about letting you use the pool (for free) to try out any gear you're considering buying from them, and have no qualms about letting you take your own gear into the pool to practice skills or check out gear before a trip. We've never heard a peep from them about buying our gear at ScubaToys, and they happily service our regs each year. Good outfit and although we don't buy too much stuff from them, we find ourselves buying stuff there at least once a year.

The dive shops around me are pretty meh. Worst thing just happened which was trying to get me to pay for an inspection on a new reg before using it in the pool that already has a membership fee. Nothing stands out as a best thing yet as the LDSes around me are more fleece organizations that aren't really interested in going the extra mile it seems.

Barracuda Founding Member
    The best? A day after day good relationship and good service from my LDS. Nothing that WOW's me, but they always treat me right.

The worst? Getting ready for a night dive with a dive shop along the gulf, the owner proceeded to (Literally) cuss out his dive master because the DM wanted to take two boats of 10 out instead of one boat of 20. The DM was worried about the safety of a packed boat and even cited the shop policy of no more than 12 for a night dive. The owner responded that he had a mortgage for two new boats that needed to be paid.

Grouper
    both from the same shop-
    best - training the instructor / owner was incredibly patient with my 14 yo, explained things well, and made sure that we learned the skills, not just could get by. he made sure that my wife was comfterabul with the skills in the pool before thinking about doing open water (she did four extra sesions with out extra chage). he said he was makeing divers, not certifacations.

worst - droped off old tank for hydro in March last year. the shop went under in october, and apparently the tank sank with it not to be seen again. no call from them, no imforation when i asked in person. (granted i have some responsibilty for not keeping after the shop to get my stuff back.)

the owner was a great instructor, but not so good of a buisness man.
    I ONLY APPOLIGE FOR MY SPELLING!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmorgan View Post
    This is one of the unwritten laws of business......you will find the philosophy of the owner displayed by business practices.You will find few businesses in the middle, they will be very good, very customer oriented, or it's all about me, I need to maximize profits, customers aren't really important.

As a former business owner, I can assure you success is tied directly to your regular customers. It costs money to find new customers, so keep your regular returning customers and make sure they feel very important.

Michigan's bad economy has taken care of the poor performing shops. We went from about 5 LDS' to two. My local LDS is fair, reasonable prices, excellent service. Scubatoys is another example of one of the good businesses. They appreciate their customers, are fair, and provide excellent service.

My advice, find a LDS that you like and take care of them. Make sure the one you pick values you as a customer and takes care of you. It is a relationship that is worth cultivating.

I don't look for absolute lowest price. I look for value. That is a combination of product quality, price, service, support, advice, experience.
    Yeah, just like Scuba Toys. They provide a great price, good service, awesome sales people, experienced advice. Then they top it off with a discount for forum members. I end up going back again and again. They really suck, as I spend too much money on dive stuff. I drive 3 hours and 17 minutes one way just to shop there. They even tried to loan me a full face mask with full comm gear for free. They new once I walked out of their store with that mask I would buy it. BASTIDS! Well I didn't succumb to that high priced tactic. Well at least not yet; but, I am planning another trip to Carrollton, TX
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Worst....act like they know how to repair scuba gear then have one of the instructors from same shop bitch along with me about the owners ability to affect effective drysuit repairs among other repair and equipment miscues from that owner.
    Same shop, some awesome instructors who meet what I consider to be the highest compliment that can be paid......they know their ****.
    Makes me wonder why some LDS owners lose touch with reality? is it the difference between a loved hobby turned into a biz and just enjoying what you like to do?
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Images
    The worst for my LDS was the day they closed. Great guys, nice shop....just not enough divers in the local market to sustain the business. On top of that, they wanted to be to friendly with those that did dive and didn't run the business. To many good deals and freebies to those that did buy from them...cost them their business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information