Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Cobalt Review

OK, im a new owner of this Dive computer. I will check it out today. It's changing now. then I will dive in my pool with it. Thanks for the review and info. i just hope ver 1.13 code is good for it. it does look like they took ver 1.17 of the atomic site. I think there was a issues with the LOG download.

1.17 had a lot of people complaining about the logging so they pulled it but anything above 1.11 fixes the important issues.

Guppy
    Hey guys, The very best, and strongest screen protector is 'Clear Bra' - the exact same stuff that they put on cars. It works incredibly well, is rugged, is clear, and can be changed if need be. If you go by any shop that installs Clear Bra, they will probably GIVE you a 3 X 5 piece for free. (It works great on ALL dive computers). If it's rugged enough for the front of your car/truck, you can bet it will be rugged enough for your dive computer.

By the way, overcharging is possible. The manual states that you should not have it on the AC charger longer than 2 hours. A future upgrade would be a 'smartcharger' that would shut off automatically when the device's batteries have reached a full charge .... just like a rechargable shaver or toothbrush!

Images
    krooda, I see in the cobalt manual where it says it takes 2 hours to a full charge with the AC quick charger or 4 hours with the USB. I cannot find where it states you should not have it on the AC charger longer than 2 hours. I am old and miss a lot of stuff. Can you give me the page number where it says that. 'preciate it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy

Charging the Cobalt

Zeagle,
    You are correct. On Page 9, it says that the batteries will reach full charge in 2 hours on the AC charger. However, I learned, from speaking to a person at Atomic, that the AC charger will still continue to 'try' and charge the batteries after they have reached full charge. Therefore, leaving the Computer on the charger longer than the 2 hour charging time does more harm than good. For the longest battery life, remove the charger once it has completed charging of the batteries.
    G'day sir!

Grouper
    Images
    I bought an XS Scuba, small neoprene console protector, that fits the Cobalt perfect. It's not Atomic, but didn't want to put my Suunto cover on it.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwink View Post
    I bought an XS Scuba, small neoprene console protector, that fits the Cobalt perfect. It's not Atomic, but didn't want to put my Suunto cover on it.
    Wanted to add that last week I did a recovery dive for a set of dentures in a River. We had only about 2" vis, couldn't even see my hand. But, I was able to see my Cobalt, was even able to use the compass. I love my cobalt.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Guppy

computer case

I agree with all of you that Atomic should provide a case. Heck, we get a case with a $49 mask! Atomic should buddy up with one of the wet suit manufacturers. A neoprene case that we could slip over the computer (especially while our EXPENSIVE gear is in the tank racks on a boat) would be ideal. It would also be a good way to keep curious fingers off of our computer(s).

A while back, I met a gal in Monterrey, CA who owns a wetsuit shop called Otter Bay Wet suits. She does all kinds of custom stuff, and I may ask her to make a case for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kroorda View Post
    Zeagle,
    You are correct. On Page 9, it says that the batteries will reach full charge in 2 hours on the AC charger. However, I learned, from speaking to a person at Atomic, that the AC charger will still continue to 'try' and charge the batteries after they have reached full charge. Therefore, leaving the Computer on the charger longer than the 2 hour charging time does more harm than good. For the longest battery life, remove the charger once it has completed charging of the batteries.
    G'day sir!
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure and limit my charges.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole

You can't overcharge, but still shouldn't leave the adapter on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure and limit my charges.
    As one of the Cobalt's designers, I want to jump in here and clarify. You can't overcharge the Cobalt's battery. The Cobalt, like all Li-ion rechargeable batteries, for that matter, has charge limiting circuitry that reduces charging to a trickle and then stops it as the battery is filled- you can see the "Charging Done" message on the screen.

The reason you should take it off the charger- or more accurately remove the charging adapter from the Cobalt- is that the adapter is connected in a way that, when it's not seeing a charge, makes the Cobalt think it's wet. This will drain the battery more rapidly, since when the Cobalt is wet, it samples pressure frequently to detect the beginning of a dive. You can see this if you take a sleeping Cobalt, and plug in the adapter only (no charger connected, on the A/C side, not USB). The Cobalt will wake to the dive screen, just as if you had jumped in the water. And never leave the adapter plugged in when flying- it's possible the Cobalt will set on an ambient pressure at altitude, then go into a shallow "dive" on the surface when you land. The only way to get out of this dive would be to remove and replace the battery- or wait 99 hours, the maximum dive length.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information