Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with 1987 aluminium tank

TadPole
    Images

What to do with 1987 aluminium tank

I have a 1987 Aluminium tank that looks brand new but was told that it could not be filled. What are my options

Guppy

1987 Aluminum Tank

Possibly donate to your friendly, local scuba instructor who could have it cut in half, after draining, to use as a teaching aid. Show what the inside of a tank and valve assembly looks like, possibly show corrosion. I have used cutaway fire extinguishers, fire pump parts, etc., as props. Really helps students understand how things work......

If you can get a great white to put it in his mouth and shoot it with a high powered rifle, you get a great special effect.

Did my ST order..............Posted smarta** comment on board...........time for my nap.
    Adjunct Staff at The Captain Morgan Rum Research Facility and Taste Testing Lab.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    If you can get a great white to put it in his mouth and shoot it with a high powered rifle, you get a great special effect.
    This is really your only option. Sell the video of this to TMV and make some $$$

Cylinders from 1988 or older are subject to sustained load cracking (SLC). What happens is the cylinder develops cracks over time and at some point it will peel apart like a banana but very violently.

The longer the cylinder has been stored full the higher the risk of SLC. Many shops will not fill these cylinders because they their believe there is no safe way to use them or they don't fully understand SLC. Because your cylinder is older than 1988, it is most likely made from 6351 alloy. This is the alloy which is subject to SLC. In 1988 Luxfer switched to 6051 alloy, which does not suffer from SLC. They also have 6351-T6, which should be fine as well.

Since your cylinder is most likely made of 6351 alloy, it will fail due to SLC at some point. SLC is not detected by regular hydrostatic testing or visual inspections. PSI, a cylinder inspecting company, developed a procedure called eddy current testing or Visual Plus. When a PSI trained inspector, with the proper equipment, does a visual and eddy current test, they will stamp the cylinder with a -VE after the hydrostatic test date. On a visual inspection they will note eddy current testing on the visual inspection sticker.

If you get a VE inspection and it passes then the cylinder is still safe to fill. However, shops may still ignore this and refuse to fill the cylinder. In my country, I don't know anyone who will do a VE test. So no shop in my area will fill them and we just scrap them. If you can find a shop that will do a Visual Plus inspection on the cylinder they should also be willing to fill it, if it passes.

Generally speaking, if you do things like weekend trips and not all sites will fill the cylinder, it might not be worth getting it Visual Plus inspected every year. Additionally, the extra cost of getting it VE tested might be more than just buying a new cylinder after a few years.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    recycle it, maybe pick up some cash with the way the metal market is now

TadPole
    Is selling it off to paintball enthusiasts an option?

Images
    It would make one heck of a lamp for your man cave.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Cut off the bottom, hang it, and have a great gong.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by nooykt View Post
    Is selling it off to paintball enthusiasts an option?
    Not really as they would have the same issues with fills.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

TadPole
    Catalina tanks were never made of the "bad alloy"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information