Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maui Dive Shops/Shore Diving

Grouper

Maui Dive Shops/Shore Diving

Hi Everybody! I'll be visiting Maui this summer and I'm looking for a place to do a few shore dives. However, none of my family dives so I was wondering if anyone knows of a DM who guides trips like this. We'll be staying in Lahaina.
    Also, I'm looking to do a few boat dives. I've heard varying reviews about dive shops - what can you guys reccomond? Do any shops do pickups?

Thanks!

Extended Horizons does guided shore dives. Scuba Dive Maui and Lanai with Extended Horizons - Maui's Leading Green Dive Company - Lahaina, Hawaii No personal experience with them.

I dove with Lahaina Divers once but it was a few years ago. They have bigger boats. Mid-week there was about 10 of us so it was pretty nice. The Cathedrals off Lanai are the signature dive.

Shark Founding Member
    None of the shops do transportation, so if you have access to a car, IMO it is well worth the time and effort to drive to the Kihei boat ramp early in the morning to catch a charter down there. We do all of our boat diving with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (ERDA) as they have 3-tank and Adventure charters geared specifically toward the more advanced and experienced diver. However, they also do a fantastic job with new divers and break up their boats and dive groups by experience level (as much as humanly possible) as well. Also recommended out of Kihei are Mike Severns, B&B, and Makena Coast Charters. For shore diving in S. Maui the one stand out in my mind is Shaka Doug.

If you don't have a car and need someone to drop you off at a boat/shop, then Lahaina Divers is probably your best bet IMO. They have scheduled destinations for their charters, which makes it easy for you to plan where you're going and what you're seeing each day. It can also be an advantage to go with one dive operator so once they've seen you dive, you'll be treated according to your dive level and need of supervision.

Like Steve said, they do have bigger boats with up to 24 divers, but they divide into groups of 6-8 divers with one DM, so the only time it may feel a bit crowded is when you're gearing up and sitting shoulder to shoulder. Otherwise there's lots of room on the boat for the ride to and from the sites and those boats are smoooooth in the water. Lahaina Divers is my choice for Lanai charters for this reason.

I'll defer to Steve that Extended Horizons leads shore dives, I hadn't realized that. On Kaanapali Beach there are an assortment of guided shore diving options from Marriott to the Sheraton. On Kapalua Bay there's also a shore diving place. If you go to Ed Robinson's website, he has a link to all of the Maui dive operators (shore and boat) with links you can click on to check them out and make some inquiries http://www.mauiscuba.com/linkmaui.htm

Be aware that most diving on Maui is done before noon and boat charters typically leave between 6:30 and 7:30am for this reason. Trade winds begin to pick up at around noon, making the water very choppy and boat rides very uncomfortable. Afternoon charters are cheaper for a reason, and shore diving can become dangerous or impossible after noon most days. So plan on doing your diving first thing in the morning, leaving your afternoons free for other fun stuff.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

I know this is off topic somewhat but the Black Water dives from the region would be on my todo list for sure.

Shark Founding Member
    I believe the Black Water dives are only conducted by a Big Island operator. Not doable if you're staying on Maui!

TadPole
    I went to Maui with my fiance and some friends last year in June. (Going back in May to get married! ) For snorkelling we had a great time at Honolua Bay. Lot's of life and coral and pretty close to the surface. (Just be careful about parking.) You can't park down by the water as it's private property and so make sure you remove all valuables from your vehicle before heading down to the water.

I definitely think a great place to go shore diving would be Makena Landing. It's often know as "turtle town" and is a pretty good place to spot a sea turtle. Black Rock was alright for snorkeling but I think it would be better for Scuba as the depths are a little deep for casual snorkeling. Apparently there's a manta cleaning station off Ukumehame Beach, but it's pretty hard to get to from shore. Maui Dive Shop offers a 2 dive trip that includes a Manta Ray dive. I'm pretty sure this is where they go. (We signed up for this one so we'll find out in May.) As with any shore dives remember to check with local shops and do your own research about possible dangerous tides and currents.

PS - Totally unrelated to diving, but grab a guidebook called "Maui Revealed" and check out the Olovine Pools and "The Blowhole" (which are very close each other just north or Lahaina just beyond Honolua Bay.)

Shark Founding Member
    Keep in mind that anywhere off the S. Maui coast that a snorkel operator uses is called "Turtle Town".

TadPole
    I just did some diving on Lania with Trilogy and on Maui with Scuba Shack. Both operations were first class. On Lanai, we dove the 2 cathedrals (first and second), I preferred the second. I was staying on Lanai, and they are the only operation on that island (pop. around 3000). The dive sites were only 20 and 10 minutes away from the small boat harbor on a sailing catamaran on engine power however. The only problem is that I had to wait for 2 days to dive as they have a 2 paid diver minimum before the trip goes and it is currently slow season on Lanai.

On Maui, I picked Scuba Shack from a review in Sport Diver magazine and it was great. They are based out of Kihei, and run their boat "double scoop" out of the Kihei boat ramp. They do start early, check in time was 5:45 and I had to drive down from Kaanapali ~50 minutes or so. In any case, we dove the Molokini crater (inside) and then headed over to turtle town for lots of turtle encounters. Their boat is pretty awesome, 710HP jet boat, the captain/owner Charlie even did some donuts on the water for us. The ride to Molokini took less than 10 minutes and we were the first boat on site, but by the time we got out, there were about 10 other boats there. Early bird gets the worm. :-)

The turtle town dive was too shallow for my taste as some of the depths were less than 10 feet and the surge was pretty strong with lots of rocks in the way, but there was a cool cave we surfaced in.

Hope this helps you pick some dive operators.

Derek

Shark
    Maui dreams dive shop does shore diving and you can rent scooters there too. we had dive masters with each dive. reasonably priced. even did a night dive with them. scooters are awesome!!! they tuck between your knees and fly. I felt like superman!!! down side to scooters is that they weigh about 734.8 pounds and we had to schlep them from the truck to the shore. actually they weigh about 50 lbs. but they are much heavier on the way out which is uphill..
    God is good, no matter what!!

Shark Founding Member
    Maui Dreams is a great dive shop, but keep in mind that the OP is staying in Lahaina and Maui Dreams is in Kihei, 45 minutes away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information