Thread: Extending scuba bottom time with freediving

Extending scuba bottom time with freediving

Hi all

I'm doing a bit of research for an article for a freediving site on scubas increasing their bottom times by doing freediving courses to learn how to relax while diving. Any scubas here tried this? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Grouper
    I did one a quite a few years ago, i really think it had more to do with my fitness which increased as i got better at free diving.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

I did read an article recently that discussed surface breathing techniques used during a dive but what they took away from it was belly breathing. Here it is:

Freedivers do their dives relying only on the breath they carry with them. So, you can bet they make the breaths leading up to a dive really good ones. In fact, freedivers actively work on how they breathe. The old adage in scuba of deep slow breathing is true, but only scratches the surface of what is involved. It is almost universal that breathing is not really taught in a scuba course.
    Breathing for Scuba Precision Diving

I think the same holds true for both sports: limiting movement, increasing breathing efficiency and ultimately relaxing are probably the three major ways to improve the SAC rate. Freediving probably helps all three. The thing I find strange is that on one a major part of the relaxation is breathing while the other it is not breathing.

TadPole
    I know after I helped my fiance train up her free diving skills her bottom time increased by a fair margin. Fitness was never an issue as she was very fit at the time. It was more about relaxing and slowing the heart rate down.

Thread Information