Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried freediving and I like it

Tried freediving and I like it

Yesterday we only had 3 DSD students at the pool. After the DSD class the instructor showed me some freediving techniques.

First attempt, got across the width of the pool on one breath.

With feedback from the instructor, ran into the wall and lost all momentum. Time to switch to doing lengths.

Third attempt, did the full length of the pool but got my heart rate up.

The less I tried and the more I worked with the water, rather than against it, the further I got. My whole body aches a little this morning. Really felt it in the gut. This seems like a fun and great way to work out. Going to have to make it a habit to freediving whenever possible.

Tec intructor and course director didn't come to the pool last night but apparently the CD can do two lengths of the pool on one breath and the Tec instructor can do two and a half.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    so teach us... I can only do about 1/3 of a length.
    God is good, no matter what!!

I only had one session but it is mostly about learning to breathe. I would go to the edge of the pool, pull myself out of the water a little and take a slow, deep breathe. I would then sink down into the water. I would actually push myself down under water and hold onto the edge of the pool. As I went under water I would exhale. The pressure from the water would help me to exhale just that little bit more.

The whole motion has to be fluid. Out of water, deep inhale, underwater, push yourself down, exhale completely. You don't want to do this more than three times or you could hyperventilate.

Next exercise was back to the wall, hang onto the wall and put your heels on the wall as well. You do slowly breathe in and out. The idea is to slow your heart rate down. When you are calm and relaxed, let go of the wall, take a deep breathe and go under.

As you are swimming, put your hands together and straight out in front of you. Then you want to roll your whole body. Imagine your body is like a wave. Or it is like taking a piece of rope, you at one end, someone else on the other end and making waves with it. You want your body to move like that wave. When I got it down right, I was flying.

I'll see if I can find some videos on YouTube.

Shark
    Images
    Good for you, SD888!
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll take just getting in the pool as our classes have cancelled the water sessions last week.

Shark
    great, simple instructions. I think I can follow them.
    Thanks

As promised, here are some YouTube videos:

The last link actually has an instructor telling you how to do a dolphin kick (which is what I was doing while free diving).

Shark
    that looks harder than the hippy hippy shake!!!

TadPole
    Also remember that many people often need to do about 3-4 breath holds underwater before your body/mind is conditioned to the process. This is not just about relaxing underwater, (although that is a major factor). There is an actual term called the mammalian dive reflex. Basically it allows one to significantly lower their heart rate (bradycardia), shift their blood flow to the core (blood shunt) and even reduce lung compression effects at great depths (thoracic filling).
    The above was shamelessly ripped from the following website:
    ImpulseAdventure - Freediving - Apnea / Breath-hold Diving

For myself, usually I'll only get about 1 minute on my first go, 1&1/2 - 2 minutes on my second and then 2 1/2 to 3 for the rest of my sessions. (Static) My fiance managed to go from just 30 seconds up to 2 1/2 minutes in just a few months.

Another side benefit is that by being more relaxed underwater, even when she wasn't holding her breath and just scuba diving normally she found she was getting much better bottom times due to this.

A few words of warning. If you're going to try to practice free diving it's a *very* good idea to do with a buddy. Like so many things free diving isn't dangerous by itself, but it can be if you don't know what you're doing. As suggested above it's not a good idea to hyperventilate before trying this. If you feel yourself getting a little light headed while doing your deep breaths before going down, STOP, do not under the water, go back to breathing normally and try again without so many deep breaths. Light headed is not too far off from passing out. I've known a few people (guys especially) who "had" to get a better time than their buddy and admitted to hyperventilating beforehand. Likewise you should never be pushing yourself past a point of comfortability when you're under the water. You should never be coming up gasping for air. Of course if you can, try training with someone who already knows a bit about free diving. Everyone is different and individual instruction can help over come individual obstacles.

Thanks for the information Dave. Going to the pool again on Saturday. I'll try to read the article you linked to before then.

TadPole
    No problem SD888! <grin> I hope you have a great time! One more little thing. If you find that you're positively bouyant when you try to dive down, (and you likely will be with a full set of lungs. ), try bringing a weight belt along with 2-6 lbs of weight. You'll find that you're able to relax much more underwater if you're not always fighting to stay down. Play with the weights until you're able to be at a neutral bouyancy with a full breath. (I myself take about 4lbs and that leaves me just barely positive)

When you find a weight you like, I find a single larger weight in the small of your back is more comfortable that multiple smaller ones. (Multiple weights often need adjusting.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information