Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Mead - B29 WWII plane

Guppy Founding Member
    Lake Mead National Parks Service is opening the B29 and the old PBY plane is already open for tech divers... (and if the water gets any lower... Open Water Divers!) @ last check theB29was at 135ft. (so far only a handfull of non navy divers have dove the B29.
    <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
    as our vis is going down because of the bloom, you may want to hurry if youíre going to dive this....

Anyway the plane is being opened up via some of our local dive shops... I have not heard who "won" the contract for it, but here are some links to the maps of theSoil Station(used to build Hover Dam), the PBY, and the B29 info...

Topic covering all 3 - Topic Link
    B29 - Info - Topic Link
    PBY (PDF)
    Soil Station map (PDF)
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Enjoy</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Shark Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmp51
    Lake Mead National Parks Service is opening the B29 and the old PBY plane is already open for tech divers... (and if the water gets any lower... Open Water Divers!) @ last check theB29was at 135ft. (so far only a handfull of non navy divers have dove the B29.</span>
    </span>
    as our vis is going down because of the bloom, you may want to hurry if youíre going to dive this....</span>
    </span>
    Anyway the plane is being opened up via some of our local dive shops... I have not heard who "won" the contract for it, but here are some links to the maps of theSoil Station(used to build Hover Dam), the PBY, and the B29 info...</span>
    </font>
    Topic covering all 3 - Topic Link</font>
    B29 - Info - Topic Link</font></font>
    PBY (PDF)</font></font>
    Soil Station map (PDF)</font></font>
    <div></div>
    <div>Enjoy</div>
    <div></div>
    Is the lake and waters at the plane site truley that low---dang, had no idea. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Guppy Founding Member
    yes they are getting bad.... Dec of 08 will be "stale pool" (if we donít slow down Cali's (and everyone else's) take) <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

if you look at the links I provided you can see an actual report from a parks meeting that has the water levels.... SCARY LOW!
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I thought TechDivingLimited won the contract. I know they're signing people up.

Geez, only 135' now? At this rate I may be able to dive that sucker sooner rather than later! I thought it would have to wait for my adv.nitrox/deco.proc/trimix certs!

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude

Geez, only 135' now? At this rate I may be able to dive that sucker sooner rather than later! I thought it would have to wait for my adv.nitrox/deco.proc/trimix certs!
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>soon you can just walk out to it and take a look at it!!!</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Guppy Founding Member
    I will try and get some video of it from the parks service taken last year (and 20' deeper)
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Shark Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude

TDI is one of 2 shops allowed to conduct limited 'tours' of the site thru a trail period....cost for one site dive plus another on the lake is in the area of 475.00 depending on the shop. I persl. hope it does not get to much shallower...the planes structure is very fragile at this point. Only a very limited number of divers will be allowed on the site during a month.....of course the winter months will offer the best water conditions at this local it appears. A tourist spot it does not need to become.

Guppy Founding Member
    yes LM is much clearer during the winter... I dove there in Feb\ March and w\7mil to 50 ft... water temp was around 52- 55 at surface.... (Burrr) anyway.... during the summer months, the algae gets crazy.... we also have an infestation of the Quaga mussel.... resulting in less feeders on the algae, causing even more growth at deeper depths.... <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Anyway they are limiting the plane access as a "Trial" run to see how it is treated and to see if it is going to remain in good shape despite a larger number of divers visiting... @ anytime the parks service can "pull" the right to dive the site...

The PBY (recently found) is considered an "OPEN" Dive, no restrictions... the link I posted has a map with the GPS on it...
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

TadPole Founding Member
    Wish we could send some water from Texas there! We have plenty!!!

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindref757
    Wish we could send some water from Texas there! We have plenty!!!
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Wow I wonder how much that pipe line would cost....</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>do people in TX watch king of the hill...</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>just wondering...</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information