Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Cozumel Countdown!

Grouper
    Images

Smile June Cozumel Countdown!

I don't know how I let it slip by, but yesterday began the 2 month countdown to Cozumel in June!

Going to be staying at Hotel Cozumel with the Wife from June 7-14. No daughter this trip - this is our annual marriage reboot vacation.

Going to be diving with Scuba Mau.

Anyone else going to be down at the same time? Look for the pudgy hair guy with the shaved head.

Ray
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats!

Gotta luv some Cozumel. It's really nice to get away with just the wife and enjoy a trip together.

Are you planning on have Scuba Mau pick you up at the Hotel Cozumel dock? Does the hotel have a charge for pick ups using thier dock for operators other than Dive Paradise?
    DevilDiver

Barracuda
    I am soooo jealous !!!!! I love having a vacation countdown !

Grouper
    Images
    We haven't been at Hotel Cozumel since last summer, but unless something has changed - they do not charge. We've stayed there 3 times - and never dove with Paradise. I'm sure the DM at Paradise are nice guys. However, I'm not crazy about everything I see at the dock loading up the boats.

In all fairness though - I have never tried them - so I judge them only from what I see at the dock. However, I will say this - the guys at the counter there at the shop in Hotel Cozumel seem to be a great group more than willing to help you out anyway they can.

Because I don't boat dive with them, if I want to do a shore dive it's something like $8-$10 a tank - but I don't find that overly objectionable. I think if you are boat diving with them, the shore tanks might be free.

Scuba Mau will pick us up at the hotel dock.

At Hotel Cozumel, it at least seems the hotel owns the dock, the lockers, etc. When you check in - you get the dive shop locker key from the hotel front desk, rather than from the dive shop.

So for us it has been perfect, nice fairly inexpensive low key hotel with really nice gear lockers, great rinse stations. We usually jump off the boat - rinse our gear - hang it - run to the room, change into something dry - come back over and sit down for lunch/put our gear in a locker - and head to lay in the sun for a couple of afternoon hours.

The beach area is about as nice as you can find for the west side, near town. They expanded it a couple of years ago, 2008 or 2009 - and it's double the size it use to be, and much nicer. The sand is not naturally occuring, but they have carved out a neat little pool in the rocky shore which is protected by an edge of reef which makes for a really easy entry for snorkeling or swimming.

So your question made me curious, If you stay at Barracuda, do you have to pay a couple of bucks to get picked up by other shops?

I'm trying to talk the wife into letting Jamie (you met him) and I head down for another boys trip this summer - a long weekend - neither of our wives are biting though. I was trying to figure out how I conn'd the wife into it last year - she pointed out that last years trip was suppose to be to the flower gardens, where she does NOT want to go, and that I convinced her Cozumel was cheaper, and somehow less selfish of me to go to as a result of the cheaper cost.

Lesson 1 - if you want to go on a boys trip annually - don't bring back pictures and talk about the awesome time you had on the first one. Bring back stories of bad weather, poor conditions, and crappy accomodations - so that next year you can try to go on a trip to make up for it.

Lesson 2 - if your buddy brings back pictures of his wife's name written in the sand - you better bring back the same picture with your wife's name written in the sand.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post
    I'm sure the DM at Paradise are nice guys. However, I'm not crazy about everything I see at the dock loading up the boats.
    Some of them are nice guys but I am not suggesting diving with them. The two times that I have I have seen enough for me to recommend them as the only operator on Cozumel to not dive with.

if I want to do a shore dive it's something like $8-$10 a tank - but I don't find that overly objectionable. I think if you are boat diving with them, the shore tanks might be free.
    It's the same cost if you have booked a package with them, also if you try to move any packaged dives around to different days or time they will not do it, you loose the dives and have to pay extra if you want to dive another time.
    ***This actually has nothing to do with the statement above, I would not put a bad opinion out on an operation over a few $.

So your question made me curious, If you stay at Barracuda, do you have to pay a couple of bucks to get picked up by other shops?
    I am not sure as I have not tried to use another op while staying there and I did not ask this last time. I have read some where that some of the hotels were charging the smaller dive ops to pick up at their docks because they had some kinda deal in place for using a certain operation as a prime vendor.
    I was asking because I was planning to use Scuba Mau on my next trip and did not want them to have to pay any kinda of fee for picking up somewhere.

Thanks for the reply! Tell Opal and Mau I said hello...... Have a great trip.

Lesson 1 - if you want to go on a boys trip annually - don't bring back pictures and talk about the awesome time you had on the first one. Bring back stories of bad weather, poor conditions, and crappy accomodations - so that next year you can try to go on a trip to make up for it.

Lesson 2 - if your buddy brings back pictures of his wife's name written in the sand - you better bring back the same picture with your wife's name written in the sand.
    ...... At least you did not bring back a picture with someone elses wifes name writtren in the sand.
    Tell Jamie I said Hey!
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Images
    [QUOTE=DevilDiver;445886]
    I am not sure as I have not tried to use another op while staying there and I did not ask this last time. I have read some where that some of the hotels were charging the smaller dive ops to pick up at their docks because they had some kinda deal in place for using a certain operation as a prime vendor.
    I was asking because I was planning to use Scuba Mau on my next trip and did not want them to have to pay any kinda of fee for picking up somewhere.
    [QUOTE]

I didn't know that the shops were having to pay a fee to use the dock at other hotels.

That's interesting. From the point of view of the Hotel - hey, we built it - you are picking up our guests here - giving you business - so pay up, or have your people taxi to your shop, or the marina.

I must admit one of my big qualifiers for where to stay in Cozumel is getting picked up at the pier/dock by my shop. I don't like not being able to pick my shop, and I don't like having to get into a car every morning, and every afternoon to get to/from my diving. I know - I'm spoiled. However, that's always been something we enjoyed about Cozumel. Stay where you want, dive with who you want. Very convenient diving pickup/dropoffs.

I'll have to pay closer attention this year, to see if someone at Hotel Cozumel's pier is watching or tracking who is picking up divers.

I recall being asked by someone at Dive Paradise on the pier, who we were diving with that day- but I got the impression that was about figureing out if I was suppose to go to one of their boats.

Grouper
    We stayed at Cozumel last June and dove with Scuba Mau (great folks, will dive with them again).

The first morning, Mau came by the hotel entrance and picked us up with our gear. After diving that first day, we left our regs, BCDs and fins with them to be rinsed and hung up. The next morning and each morning thereafter, they'd pick us up at the Hotel Cozumel pier with our gear already rigged and on the boat. It was only after our very last dive that we had to haul our stuff up to the hotel room. It was cush.

I've never heard of Hotel Cozumel charging a dock fee to Mau or any dive op.

Have a great trip. We're trying to put one together (same hotel and op) for later in June.

Guppy
    @ rayaa3 & Trunk_Monkey
    Do you book your stay yourself or use a travel agent? We're thinking of going the week of June 4-11 and are looking for recommendations for both accommodations and dive ops. Thanks!

Grouper
    Images
    I use orbitz to book air and hotel together, most times. There are sometimes coupon codes. I dont do packages that include diving, I prefer to choose my own dive op.

Since american airlines pulled themselves off the big search sites, like orbitz, it can be worth searching them seperately, with kayak.

Grouper
    Images
    2 weeks to go! Jeez I'm ready. Work is getting just a little bit tiring.

Dives are booked, I'm ready to go!

Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information