Thread: Aargh! I missed a huge Lingcod Friday

Grouper
    Images

Aargh! I missed a huge Lingcod Friday

I finally got a chance to go hunting Friday. Our Lings are in close from February until about now, so a buddy talked me into a low-vis dive along a rock jetty. My hunting up 'til now has all been with a polespear, but a polespear isn't a good weapon against a big ling, so I took my pneumatic gun with me for the first time. After fighting the 1' vis and 10' surge, I finally found the bottom at about 51' with about 3-4' of vis. I didn't see any decent fish for a while, so I played with the crabs for a while (huge dungies, but I had a light in one hand and speargun in the other; I couldn't figure out how to catch, measure, and bag the crabs, so I just chased them around instead). I was getting close to my turnaround point on the air guage when I noticed a beautiful 3' ling laying at the base of a boulder. I loaded my gun, kicked hard against the current to get over it, and pulled the trigger - just as the fish swam off! Bummer! Most of the lings that I see here after mid-April are usually below the legal minimum size, so I guess I can go back to hunting rockfish with my polespear until next year. I will be sure to practice with the gun before my next lingcod hunt.

Barracuda
    Images
    I grew up just north of Portland. Where do you guys hunt ling cod at?
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Images
    We were at Barview Jetty (north of Garibaldi). I think we'll try the south jetty at Newport next time (easier entry, and more habitat along the finger jetties). The problem here is that we don't get any visibility until the weather clears, and then the lings are out deeper.

Guppy
    Sounds like the one that got away.. something to look forward to next time though!

Thread Information