Thread: How to dive down without weights?

Guppy

How to dive down without weights?

My coach was able to dive down without any weights, wearing a 7mm suit. I cannot at all. Any idea how that's done?

Grouper
    Images
    Probably had a steel back plate and steel tank. Never mind just saw this was in the free diving section.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

I've tried it with a farmer john 5 and its nearly impossible for me to go more then 10 ft. He must have powerful legs and fins.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Have you asked the coach how he did it?
    Must have some big power in those legs to force a 7mm down!!
    Danilo

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers for next week, please send me a PM with those numbers.
    Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

Guppy
    I took the class way back before; back then I did not realize this is such an impossibility so it did not even occurred to me that I should ask. My belt was not weighted right, so the coach took off his and gave to me; he dove without a belt without any difficulty at all.

He might have been wearing a 5mm, I'm not sure. But this is northern california so I think that would be the thinnest possible suit he was wearing. I wear 7mm.

There are three things to consider for this:

1. Is the coach inherently buoyancy or not?
    2. How much air did he have in his lungs?
    3. How much did he need to use propulsion?

First, one of the instructors teaching me to free dive requires no weight with a 3mm wetsuit on. She can drop to the bottom just by exhaling. I other the other hand need at least 4 pounds to get down. By the fact the coach had a weight belt to give you, I'd say he was buoyant with his wetsuit on but he might have been less buoyant than you.

Second, when I first started free diving I actually needed almost 10 pounds of weight to get and keep down. Once I learned to control my breathing and get my head into the right space, I only needed 4 pounds of weight. I would expect a coach to require less weight compared to a student with equal buoyancy characteristics.

Third, he probably knew how to maximize his propulsion. When I tried to swim the WIDTH of a pool on my first attempt, I just made it to the other side. After getting some coaching on propulsion techniques I ran into the wall doing widths and had to switch to doing lengths. The different was absolutely amazing. After doing lengths for a while I hit this moment when it became easier and I actually moved faster. I cannot get that feeling every time. I'd imagine your coach knew how to hit that stride every time. It had the same psychological feeling of hitting the sweet spot in golf or getting full contact on the ball in baseball. You know it because it just feels so right.

There is also the possibility that he was wearing a 5mm suit. If I'm scuba diving, I find myself getting cold because I don't move around too much. However, if I'm freediving (a) I'm not as still and (b) I'm not in the water as long as I scuba dive.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    Check Google under Lutz Hagemann - it has a lot to do with our Subconscious and our Self-Preservation System. The rhythm of breathing changes under water. Or look in Google for Monika Rahimi - she has learned that from Lutz Hagemann (me too)

TadPole
    Check Google under Lutz Hagemann - it has a lot to do with our Subconscious and our Self-Preservation System. The rhythm of breathing changes under water. Or look in Google for Monika Rahimi - she has learned that from Lutz Hagemann (me too)

Thread Information