Thread: how to remove corrosion from BC (Zeagle Ranger) grommets?

TadPole

how to remove corrosion from BC (Zeagle Ranger) grommets?

I bought a used Zeagle Ranger and many of the grommets have corrosion (rust) on them. Most of them are also missing the paint that was once on the grommets as well.

What is the best way to remove the grommets? Does anyone know what kind of metal was used for the grommets on an older Zeagle Ranger?

Should I coat the grommets with something like nail polish?

Barracuda
    Try a small soft wire brush to remove the corrosion then you can apply some marine epoxy sealer. Or you can always replace the grommets if they are too much of an eye sore to you.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Shark Founding Member
    They're cheap, I'd just replace them. Otherwise DMWiz has the solution.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

TadPole
    I had no idea you could replace them. I'm pretty new to diving so I probably don't know a lot of the info people take for granted.

How do you replace them?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by reefvagabond View Post
    I had no idea you could replace them. I'm pretty new to diving so I probably don't know a lot of the info people take for granted.

How do you replace them?
    Are you speaking about the cummerbund grommets? If you are, my first question (I hate to answer a question with a question) would be, what are you using them for? Surface rust will come off easily with a wire brush.

I you really wish to replace them, you will need a grommet kit which will have the tools necessary to install the new ones. Depending on how carefully you remove the old ones you will either need bigger size grommets and a little craftiness.

I've used self-adhesive threaded pipe tape and duck tape (To match the surface color) to cover the previous hole and give the new grommet something to "bite" and prevent the fabric from unraveling.

I've done this mainly on vinyl banners that will hang outside day and night rain or shine, but I don't see why it would be any different.

Stainless Steel grommets are probably a good choice. But brass will work just fine specially if you rinse your gear well and they will be less expensive.

Hope this helps.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

TadPole
    Thanks for the info DMWiz. I mean pretty much all the grommets, especially the ones the ripcord system uses, not just the cumberbund grommets.

It sounds like too much work to try and replace all the grommets so I'll just live with the rust and properly wash my BC after dives. It doesn't seem like the rust will have any negative impact besides cosmetic.

Look up a chemical called "Salt-X." Make a solution with it, and soak your grommets.

TadPole
    Vinegar, Simple Green, and a toothbrush! A brass brush, or some other metal that is softer than the grommet should work too. You could buy the new grommet, but refurbishing is cheaper and faster!

Grouper
    Images
    A wire brush or even a plastic one that is stronger than the fibers of the material the grommet is installed in will weaken that material significantly without much scrubbing action. Extreme care should be used to protect the material. In fact I would tend to use as small a tool as possible(maybe a small screwdriver with some steel wool wrapped on the tip) and just remove the loose surface rust and then treat with rust reformer. This will change the rust to an oxide which resists further rusting and is paintable. Don't be surprised if the rust returns and you need to retreat but don't remove the grommet until the rust weakens it enough to require replacement which when this happens will also make removing the old grommet easier and should allow replacing with the same size grommet.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Thread Information