Thread: Nomad JT

TadPole

Post Nomad JT

Here is info I was sent earlier and forgot to add it here. It will not be as versatile as the other nomads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE...Nomad JT Sidemount Rig

For purists and hard core sidemount explorers, the Nomad JT is the rig you want to wear. This rig is designed strictly for sidemount diving and will not adapt to doubles or single tanks.

The rig has a 360-degree, 50lb lift wing that gives added lift at the diver's hips/rear which is important for explorers carrying heavy or multiple cylinders.

There are two dumps on the bottom of the wing: one on the lower left and one on the lower right. The added right dump is to accommodate stage bottles that block access to the lower, left dump. The OPV on the top of the wing is tucked inside the wing, facing the diver to avoid becoming a water trap. A thin cord runs from the OPV at the top down the left shoulder via a channel and can be shortened to diver's desired length. This cord is reversible for divers who wish to run it down the right shoulder. Reverse inflation hose is located just above the lower left dump valve and can be attached to the shoulder D or chest strap for streamlining and easy access.

The tank bungees no longer run across the back of the wing and are now attached to daisy chain loops on the inner soft backplate and run across the front of the wing (facing the diver). There are two sets of loops, plus one center loop which gives divers options for lengthening or shortening bungees. Both standard and ring bungees work with the JT.

The harness is a modified Deluxe harness with hardware pivot points at the chest to ensure a proper fit along with a chest strap. The waist strap runs through stainless metal oval loops on the wing to capture the wing and keep it tight to the body. Gone are the quick release buckles on the shoulders as well as the stainless side plates at the waist. The crotch strap runs high on the back of the wing to give attachment points for lights, reels or stage tanks. Otherwise, the back of the Nomad JT is completely clean.

Model No: BC4900

MSRP: $699.00

ETA: In production with first units avail late May.

Barracuda
    Looks better and more streamlined than the regular nomad, but they still need to get rid of some of the silly padding, also curious if the chest strap is really needed...
    Last edited by UCFKnightDiver; 04-28-2011 at 19:42.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    If you look closely, the cord from the upper dump valve is routed through the left shoulder pad to hold it in place, so if you want to ditch the pads, which I would, you'd have to figure out another way to keep the cord where you can reach it. I also wonder why they kept the circular bladder design, when there is no longer need to leave room for back mounted tanks.

Barracuda
    That is a good point about the circular wing design, I imagine you could make it much smaller and more streamlined if you got rid of that design.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    The UTD sidemount wings, Steve Bogaerts' wing for the Razor, and a at least one European prototype I've seen all have a triangular/delta shaped wing, wider at the bottom where you need the extra lift, but with the lift directly over the back, not out to the side. I know the Florida guys really like the Nomad and Hollis rigs, and I think the JT looks better than the rest, but it's still not as neat as the Razor. Now if Steve would just get his wing out there so I could buy one...

Barracuda
    Images
    I have dove and sold a Diverite Nomad EXP and Oxycheq Recon, between the two I felt the Recon was heads above the Nomad EXP but to be fare I would of probably had a higher opinion if the Diverite was the Expedition. I currently own the Hollis SMS100D, UTD 20lbs wing and harness, UTD 38lbs plus with harness and just bare harness. The UTD 20lbs wing is by far my favorite for doing and 3mil wet suit and one or two AL80 and even AL40 stage bottle. The UTD plus with 38 lbs wing is great wing and can be used as back mount on SS plate or can be used as sidemount on a Razor style harness. I only have one pool session with the Plus but it does trim out nice. The lift is low and doesn't require bunch of weight on the shoulder harness. Going form the UTD 20lbs wing to the Hollis SMS100D is like going for sports car to full size car. Its great with couple of steel tanks with 55lbs of lift has plenty of lift to offset steel tanks. Between the Recon and SMS I prefer the Recon just slightly but our shop went the Hollis so that is what I'm diving.

There are things I like between all the harness and things I don't like so I building my own harness trying to find something I can easily do mods to as I see a need for some new requirement. When I get all the parts I will show it and explain why and how I did it.

I have not done backmount since June of last year and probably won't unless I don't have a choice.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 05-03-2011 at 19:24.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    I hope to try one later this summer to form an opinion. I just started doing sidemount with a converted transpac and butt plate. Used it with Faber 95s and trimmed out perfect with no weights having to be used. Changed the bungees just a little and adjusted the bands some and was just perfect. Going to try it out with some 120s next weekend to see how it does. It will be interesting to dive some others to form more opinions. If I do I hope they trim out as well as the transpac has so far. It does seem like all the manufacturers have good and bad points. I suspect that is why so many people build their own to incorporate the best of what they like. Each person is different in size and preferences and theis makes it harder to find one that will make everyone happy.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Thread Information