Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed Wreck

Passed Wreck

I just got back from Mermet and passed my Wreck cert. It was alot of fun. We penetrated the 747. It was one of the coolest dives I've done so far. I can see myself getting into cave and full penetration dives past light zone later down the road.

Congrats. I enjoy going inside wrecks. Doing a 747 would be fun. Going into a cave is something very different. I cannot imagine going into a cave just yet. Not too sure if I ever will do cave penetration.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Thanks. We also learned to shoot a lift bag. Not part of the class but he taught us anyway. That was cool.

Oh no, A cave wont be anytime soon. I have a lot of things to learn before I even sign up for a cave class if ever. I really enjoy wrecks. They are just fascinating to me.

If you like wrecks you should try to make your way up to the Great Lakes. At the mouth of the St. Lawrence River (Lake Ontario) there are over 500 wrecks within recreational dive limits. Over in Lake Erie there are almost as many but some are beyond 130' deep. Lake Michigan has quite a few as well.

I'm hoping too soon. Our local shop is having a trip up that way but I cant make it then. I'm hoping next year to do that. I'm slowly acquiring all the gear. I have the drysuit now to be able too. Its not all that far for me either.

If you are looking for reels, check out eBay. I just purchased a nice 150' DiveRite reel and saw someone selling two jump reels for $30 ($15/each). They aren't the best but if you are staying in the light zone or doing shallow penetrations, cannot go wrong for $15 to $30.

I'll keep an eye out for some. Thanks. What size line do you use? I might go thicker then 24.

I usually go with #24. I buy a spool of 500' that I keep at home. If the line gets a little ratty looking I'll toss the line and put a new line on the reel. I find that #36 is really bulky. Even though the wrecks I'm on have zebra mussels on them (sharp edges), I've never had a problem with a #24 line breaking. Mind you, before I go for a dive weekend I'll spend one evening unspooling a reel, checking the line and replacing if necessary. I usually do it while watch television.

Megalodon
    Images
    Congrats Noob!!! BTW, that's a 727 not 747...though a divable 747 would be uber cool!!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Congrats!!!!
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information