Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malaria anyone?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images

Malaria anyone?

So with all of the tornadoes around here the Red Cross gave me a call and asked me to come in and donate. I donate regularly so this was not a surprise. When I answered the questions though I did get a little surprise. They had a specific question about being in Mexico and particularly near Tulum. Seems they have or had a problem with malaria in that area and have defered me for a year.

So, does anyone get their shots before the go to Coz. or Cancun?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Shark
    Images
    We didn't.
    Diver Kat? Do you know?

Grouper
    I know a lot of people who dive will balk on malaria meds because the majority of meds are not dive friendly.

that being said, with the times i have gone to mexico i have not taken malaria meds

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports occasional outbreaks of Malaria in Quintana Roo. The guidelines are to discuss the need for malaria medications with a health care provider. The CDC details a number of approaches including anti-malarial drugs, insect repellents, sleeping in air conditioning or well screened rooms. My health care provider has not recommended anti-malarial drugs when traveling to theQuintana Roo area of Mexico. I know a number of physicians who travel to a clinic in Playa del Carmen on a regular basis. I do not believe any of them take an anti-malarial.

Images
    Never thought about it for Mexico. When we went to Roatan, my wife did (she was the only one that could get a prescription). She stopped taking them 1/2 way through due to side-affects (dizziness & nauses).

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    That's a usual deferrment Packrman. I had a 4 year after getting back from Iraq. As for the meds: Talk with your doctor and with DAN. I will say that if you're in an area that is very malaria prone, it's a good idea to take the meds AND use toehr protection including bug juice and maybe permetherin impregnated clothing. Malaria in not a good thing to get, causes spleen, liver and bone marrow damage. The easiest malaria prophylaxis is daily doxycycline starting a week before the trip until 2 weeks after the trip and primaquin for 2 weeks after. Another favorite of mine is Mefloquin, but is defintiely has some significant side effeects that you need to be aware of before starting.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Do these side effects include having to call the doctor after four hours? Letting that drag thru a reef would not be good, not good at all.

Dammit Navy, I was going to blow it off until you chimed in. Now I am going to have to make a call.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Guppy
    Navy is right. You do not want to get Malaria. I always check anywhere overseas I might be going just in case.
    Oh I remember fondly the days of Mefloquin Monday while on deployments.

Megalodon
    Images
    I wouldn't worry too much Packrman,

If you don't/didn't have: Moderate to severe shaking chills, High fever, Profuse sweating as body temperature falls you're probably good to go.

Other signs and symptoms may include:
    • Headache
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    Malaria signs and symptoms typically begin within a few weeks after a bite from an infected mosquito. However, some types of malaria parasites can lie dormant in your body for months, or even years. P. Ovale is one of these, but again not known in Mexico.
    The worst side effect of Mefloquine I had was poor sleep for the first 2 days after taking the weekly dose - would hit REM sleep but not be totally unresponsive so I had very weird but vivid dreams. Given the other side effects, it may not be a good one for diving - havent checked DAN, but still....

Sorry, Packrman, you're too nice of a guy to have to deal with Malaria. Do a google on it: P.Vivax is the most prevalent, I have been told that P.Falciparum is present in Mexico as well, but the CDC says no, only P.Vivax. P.Falciparum is the nastiest one BTW.

DAN Divers Alert Network : DAN Discusses Malaria and Antimalarial Drugs

DAN Divers Alert Network

When I went to Coz in 1984, I was on a full Malaria Prophy, not so much for winter months and crise ship stop now.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Have done 13 or so trips to Coz (not counting cruise stops) and have never gotten any shots or taken malaria meds. If I'm there during the rainy season, I make sure to have a real good bug repellant ( like Sawyers.) Have never had any problems.

This is straight from the CDC website under the section on Mexico:
    Rare cases in Quintana Roo and Tabasco. No malaria along the United States-Mexico border and in the major resorts along the Pacific and Gulf coasts.

CDC - Malaria - Travelers - Malaria Information and Prophylaxis, by Country
    Last edited by Diver Kat; 05-28-2011 at 08:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information