Thread: Need to get my PADI AOW done by Fall, Deep Dive experiences?

Guppy

Question Need to get my PADI AOW done by Fall, Deep Dive experiences?

Hi guys,
    I got my PADI OW back in '82. Way overdue on my PADI AOW, needless to say.
    I try to get in about 15-20 dives in during the season. It's been a long time since I've been to around 55ft. in depth.
    That was a way back then at the Jetties in Panama City, Florida. Most dives I do in the local lake north of Atlanta, Lake Lanier.
    Average around 40ft. Trying to prepare myself mentally for my Deep Dive for my PADI AOW with about 100ft. of water over my head.
    Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

Megalodon
    Images
    Hey Borg!

Get with a local shop and just do it: AOW is not difficult, neither is a deep dive. To put the depth in the proper perspective, go to the top of a 4-5 story building and look down. That's 40'-50'. Now do the same on a 10 story building. that's about 100' There are a number of issues that you need to consider of course, the foremost is your equipement needs to be in very good shape-especially your reg needs to be serviced. as for the rest, you don't feel any different with regards to pressure, you will feel some effects of narcosis and your time at depth is short. 100' has 20 minute NDL as I recall (don't have RDP on me to double check-so you need to double check and don't take the word of some old geezer on line)

Mentally: Just think 100'? Cool! let's learn and do it!!!!! And as always, have fun.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

My wife and I did ours last June - as Navy said: it isn't difficult. We knew our gear was in good shape, we knew we had practiced our emergency drills, and we talked about it a lot with our instructor so we knew what to expect.

Just relax and have fun!
    -Aaron

I agree with the other two. AOW is an easy class and fun.

Enjoy it and relax.
    When I conduct the deep dive I plan on 100 feet but students can signal level off at any point and I'll conduct the bottom skills as long as we are within the depth requirements. FYI the deep dive can be conducted between 61 and 100 feet.

Grouper
    Only real difference will be in temperature. Good Luck!
    Follow the bubbles...

Guppy
    Dive Locker at Panama City Beach does some deep charters. I got 65' on the channel side of the St.Andrews Jetty, but watch the tides. Since you've been to the area.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    AOW is easy. Nothing "advanced" about it. I think you only HAVE to break 60 feet for the "deep" dive.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Guppy
    Oh yes! I remember the tides and how things can change quick. Back in the 80's I was doing a dive at the Jetty's and went in on the Gulf side and followed the rocks out to the point and surfaced into 3-4 swells off the point . I thought I was in a washing machine. We came out on the channel side, almost got bashed to pieces by the wave action slamming into the rocks. Had to get a fisherman to help us out before we were finished.
    WRONG thing to do. Should have retraced our path, along the bottom and come back out on the beach where we went in.
    Always think about the time that the Jetty's just about punched my ticket!

Barracuda Founding Member
    If you can do 40ft in Lanier, 100ft in better water should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Oh yes! I remember the tides and how things can change quick. Back in the 80's I was doing a dive at the Jetty's and went in on the Gulf side and followed the rocks out to the point and surfaced into 3-4 swells off the point . I thought I was in a washing machine. We came out on the channel side, almost got bashed to pieces by the wave action slamming into the rocks. Had to get a fisherman to help us out before we were finished.
    WRONG thing to do. Should have retraced our path, along the bottom and come back out on the beach where we went in.
    Always think about the time that the Jetty's just about punched my ticket!
    That point is a surprisingly dangerous area. Opposing winds/tide changes will kick up the waves, the current can go faster than you can kick and seems to come out of nowhere, and bottom debris makes navigation a challenge... Meanwhile, fishermen are aiming for you!

Thread Information