Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Is Table Rock?

Images

How Is Table Rock?

I haven't been down since the floods last month. How is TR doing? Has the water went down? How's the dive conditions? Is Dewey still open for diving?

Snagel

Grouper
    The water did go down some but it went right back up last week. It is starting to go down again, it's not quite as high as when you put your back in at Indian Point. Jakes Point the parking lot is still underwater, we went to Dewey yesterday and did one dive & you have to enter the water down by the old visitors center building. The good news is it's not that far of a walk down the hill to the water vis is not as bad as I thought it might be about 9-12 ft down to 35ft or so, it just gets worse the deeper you go after that around five ft at 60 ft with a light, it is pitch dark at that depth. Water temp was in the low 60's.
    Say When....

Images
    Thanks. Need to get back down there...been busy every weekend since we were there last. Hoping to get down there maybe in 3 weeks. What a shame, I graphed out the conditions for TR over the last 3 years and it shows that the peak for viz for TR (and most lakes in the midwest) is April through the end of May.

Oh well, summer is here finally, but my weekends seem to fill up quickly.

Snagel

Shark
    I understand about full weekends..... I had not been diving for 8 weeks. we dove yesterday ahhh
    I was about to go to a scuba anonymous meeting and say.'Hi I'm Nancy and I've been dry for 8 weeks....'
    God is good, no matter what!!

Grouper
    Images
    I have never dove TR before, but am going to take some of my grandkids there in a couple of weeks for 2 days at Silver Dollar City. Are there any dive shops that take boats out during the week? I think one day at SDC will be enough for me, so planning to try and get in a couple of dives. I would even do shore dives if I had someone that knows where to dive to dive with.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Images
    The local dive shop is Scuba Sports (www.scuba-sports.com). They have a shop in Branson at one of the outlet malls and also have a shop at Indian Point Marina (just down the road from SDC). They do have a dive boat at Indian Point and can set you up. There is another shop at Table Rock State Park Marina (www.stateparkmarina.com). They also can set you up with a dive boat.

As far as shore diving, probably the best is Dewey Short at the Dam. There is construction, but as stated you can walk down behind the old visitors center and dive. Not a bad place to dive and away from the boat traffic. There are many local divers on the forum that wouldn't mind hooking up at Dewey.

Snagel

Barracuda
    Where is parking in relation to Dewey old visitor center? Is it a far walk from truck to water?
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grouper
    You can park about 20-30 yards from the old visitors center, walk down the steps & follow the sidewalk to the water.
    With the water being up right now it is probably a shorter walk to the water than before construction started & everyone used the steps closest to the dam in the old parking area thats now gone.
    Say When....

Shark
    so can you still get to the steps even if the parking area is gone????
    God is good, no matter what!!

Images
    You cannot get to the concrete steps with the railing and the old wooden steps are gone due to floods several years ago. That whole area is fenced off (or was a month ago). You cannot get there due to all the construction. (I posted some pictures of this in another thread) However, if you park up next to the old visitors center, there is a path behind the visitors center and you can walk down to the water from there.

Another option is if you park next to the old visitors center there is a walking/biking path that is near the restrooms. Walk down this path and you can get to the water from there. There is a nice spot off this path to dive. There are some great ledges. It is a little farther walk because you have to carry things down the path and this is not a protected area from boats. But, a nice dive.

Snagel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information