Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the dive options in Playa Del Carmen

TadPole

What's your opinion of the dive options in Playa Del Carmen

I am going to Playa Del Carmen and just finished my open water certification. Last year I did the beginner's dive in Cozumel and really loved it. Hence the open water certification. I was looking at my dive options in Playa and I have narrowed it done to another dive in Cozumel or the Cenotes. They both look super awesome. What's your experience with each and what do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice Brodie

A few people recommended Fantasea to me when I was asking a few weeks back.
    -Aaron

Images
    I've never dove out of Playa, the several times I was there noticed several dive operations and a lot of divers. We typically stay at the Grand Siranis Resort and use the dive op at the resort.

Diving on the Riveria side is a little different than Coz, the current isn't near as strong. The water isn't near the turqoise as it is in Coz; however, some great diving. The cenotes are very nice. I know a lot of people dive them, but regardless what they say, these are pretty much cave dives. I know this is debatable, but I don't know how more to describe them. I enjoyed them, but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner. If you are a beginner I would make sure that you discuss this with the dive op taking you to the cenote. There are many that are fairly open. Some that we did, we actually went through holes into closed caverns. It did freak out one of my buddy's.

Snagel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    I've never dove out of Playa, the several times I was there noticed several dive operations and a lot of divers. We typically stay at the Grand Siranis Resort and use the dive op at the resort.

Diving on the Riveria side is a little different than Coz, the current isn't near as strong. The water isn't near the turqoise as it is in Coz; however, some great diving. The cenotes are very nice. I know a lot of people dive them, but regardless what they say, these are pretty much cave dives. I know this is debatable, but I don't know how more to describe them. I enjoyed them, but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner. If you are a beginner I would make sure that you discuss this with the dive op taking you to the cenote. There are many that are fairly open. Some that we did, we actually went through holes into closed caverns. It did freak out one of my buddy's.

Snagel
    The cave diving community conventionally defines the cavern zone as an overhead environment where:
    - natural daylight is always present (a night dive in the cavern zone is a cave dive!),
    - maximum penetration from open water is 200ft/60m,
    - maximum depth of 70ft/21m,
    - minimum starting visibility is 50ft/15m,
    - there are no restrictions (parts of the cavern where two divers cannot swim side by side),
    - all dives are within no decompression limits.

You need a cave certification for Cave diving. You don't need one for cavern diving.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie05 View Post
    I am going to Playa Del Carmen and just finished my open water certification. Last year I did the beginner's dive in Cozumel and really loved it. Hence the open water certification. I was looking at my dive options in Playa and I have narrowed it done to another dive in Cozumel or the Cenotes. They both look super awesome. What's your experience with each and what do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice Brodie
    I recommend that you get some more open water dives under your belt; before, you attempt Cavern diving. Although you are legal to do it, cavern diving is more challenging and requires very precise buoyancy control. My personal feeling is that Open Water Advanced should be a minimum requirement. Although, I have well over 1,000 dives (not an instructor), I still take a fully cave certified instructor with all his extra equipment when I do the Cenotes.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I can tell you by ZE definition, the last Cenote Dive I did would be considered a cave dive. We went down, penetrated through a wall where one diver at a time could go through went into an area where there was no light penetrating. In fact, we surfaced at one point in an air pocket. Yes, call me stupid and all that, but this was advertised as a Cenote Dive. I really didn't have much fear but thought if our guide had a heart attach or something happened to him, I wasn't getting out of this place.

Moral: Be careful, just because it is a Cenote Dive and not listed as a Cave Dive, it might be by definition. When in Mexico they will tell you, you'll be alright, it's not a cave. I agree 110% with ZE, you really need to have some experience before doing the Cenote Dives and really I should not have done what I did.

Snagel

Images
    Snagel is 100% right. You must always use your own judgement and if it don't feel right then it might be time to abort. I don't dive like I did when I was a Marine. I am getting older now and can't swim against a 3 knot current like I used to. I can't do a lot of things I used to do. You don't get to be my age by diving past your limit. I did my first dive in 1967. Okay it's time for me to go take my nap.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Images
    I stayed in COZ and went over to Playa to spend the day. Went out on a Cat and decided to snorkel while out there. I can tell you i didnt expect to see so many fishe in so shallow water. Way more fish clear water and most places were shallow. Would have been nice to have a tank .Some reefs almost came to top of water. water was very clear and i can say next time i go to COZ i will spend at least a day in Playa in the shallows. It was great. Unless you just have to go deep its a great place.

Grouper
    Images
    Hi Snagel, I'm going to the Grand Sirenis this fall to celebrate my 30th and I'd love to get your take on the place and can you tell me who you dove with?

Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post

Snagel

Barracuda Founding Member
    I dove the Cenote Angelita....no overhead issues at all but an awesome dive.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information