Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a little help choosing

TadPole

a little help choosing

hey whats up everyone. i am been doing some reading and research on bp/wings. i am really thinking about leaving my seaquest bcd to a halcyon, DSS set up or a transplate. i do plan on advancing my knowledge in diving. i plan to get up to rescue diver. i also love to dive wrecks. we were spearfishing by one and i thought it was super freaking cool..
    i am switching to this cause my girl and i dive together... renting her gear would have paid off a new bp/wing for. she tried on the seaquest and she said it fit so much better than some of the other bcds that we have rented. so i told her she can dive it this tuesday. we are in miami so we dive tropical climate. we dive every two weeks. mostly beach dives. i am 5'6 about 165-170lbs, stocky frame. i do have broad shoulders. all guidance and help is welcome. thanks guys

Oscar

Barracuda Founding Member
    If you dive single tank, avoid DSS. The hose placement is really annoying. I have owned DiveRite, DSS, and Oxycheq. Hands down, the oxycheq is the best of those. Sorry that I can't speak to the Halcyon.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    halcyon is really nice but quite over priced.....2nd vote for oxycheq.....huge fan of their wings

plate is a plate

TadPole
    yeah i will be diving singles

Grouper
    +1 Oxycheq Mach V, so comfortable and easy.
    PS DON't let your buddy try it, if she thought your old BC comfortable she'll pinch this on you.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

TadPole
    sounds like the oxycheq is the wing to get... i was doing some research and a lot of ppl like it. i know a backplate is a backplate. i will be going stainless of course but which harness would best suit my needs.
    also could one maybe give me a break down of a complete rig. like different setups?!? so i know what i need to order or get

Grouper
    Your basic harness Dive Rite Basic Harness discounts on sale Dive Rite is as comfortable as any, add shoulder pads if you want, I've just had a shoulder reconstruction and changed to one with a quick release on the shoulder Dive Rite Deluxe Harness QR [BC1080Q] - $39.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! to make it easier, feels the same when wearing it though.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

TadPole
    being that i dive with 10lbs with my seaquest. any extra weight i need to add

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    No, in fact if you are doing an aluminum plate, you should stay about the same, if steel, that will be about 6 lbs, so you can probably dive with just a 2 pounder on each side. And the whole difference between the deluxe and standard is if you want the shoulder clips and the chest strap. It's just 10 bucks more... 36 instead of 26 to go with the deluxe. Dive Rite Deluxe Harness discounts on sale Dive Rite

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    No, in fact if you are doing an aluminum plate, you should stay about the same, if steel, that will be about 6 lbs, so you can probably dive with just a 2 pounder on each side. And the whole difference between the deluxe and standard is if you want the shoulder clips and the chest strap. It's just 10 bucks more... 36 instead of 26 to go with the deluxe. Dive Rite Deluxe Harness discounts on sale Dive Rite
    you lost me here. isnt the aluminum lighter so i will need to add extra weight?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information