Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Grouper
    I've known 2 people who have had Lasik done. One has wicked dry eyes now and the other has no problems whatsoever. But, I've heard that dry eyes apparently runs in your genes, so it all depends on you.

TadPole
    I work for an Ophthalmologist and have assisted in over 1000 surgeries. I have also had PRK because at the time the Air Force wasn't doing LASIK.

Like has been mentioned earlier...this can be one of the greatest things in your life however realize that with any surgery there are risks. Do your homework and remember, you get what you pay for.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paintsnow View Post
    im thinking of getting lasik done myself once im old enough, i really dont want to deal with contacts in my choice profession, if i get to it, which is a navy diver
    DON'T get LASIK then. That they WILL NOT accept it. It can keep you OUT of the military! LASIK is not considered to be stable enough in an operational environment. They WILL NOT allow you to become a Navy Diver.

The only eye surgery they're accepting is PRK and they prefer that you do it while you're on active duty. If you're in a priority group (Pilot's, EOD, SpecWar, Divers, Security Forces) it can be done pretty quickly. I think from the time I requested it until I had the surgery was only a couple of months. Otherwise there is a waiting list and it might take a year or more.

Here's a link that explains it: http://www.lasersurgeryforeyes.com/lasik_military.htm
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidblue View Post
    I've been wanting to get it done, but the thought of being awake and seeing what they are doing, really freaks me out.
    I can't speak for LASIK, but the PRK was very quick. They apply an anesthetic to your eyes. You shouldn't feel anything. I did feel a little when they first started. They stopped, applied more anesthetic. After that it was no problem. I did after, but that is one of the differences between PRK and LASIK. I was in and out in less than five minutes. The laser is very quick and can adjust for movement of your eye.

You're going to have more pain during the recovery process and a longer healing time from PRK. The advantage is that they have determined that you're eye is structurally stronger after PRK than it is after LASIK. LASIK has a much shorter healing time and you can see immediately. There is a concern (and it would be a minor one for the vast majority of people) of the flap coming off later. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just repeating what was explained to me by the doctor as the reason why the Navy does PRK instead of LASIK.

Anyone who is contemplating surgery should explore all the risks and then make a determination if it is right for them. Corrective vision surgery has a VERY high sucess rate, but it IS NOT 100%. I have NO REGRETS about having the surgery done. As has already been mentioned the simple things like being able to read a digital clock at night in my room with out having to put on my glasses, not being dependent on glasses to do everyday normal activities.... it's really difficult to put a value on for me. I was told that I personally had exceptional results. I went from 20/200 to being able to read the bottom line on the eye chart! I couldn't have asked for anything better :-)
    Bill

Grouper
    Images
    I had it done in Jan...LOVE IT...20/10 with very little night haze and no after problems. I had monovision done so I don't need reading glasses. Monovision, one eye for distance, one eye for reading. Not every one can adjust to monovision, but I had contacts like that for years. I have never been able to see clearly, I was in glasses in 4th grade....It is a wonderful thing....

Guppy
    I am seriously thinking of having it done. I have been wearing glasses since I was 2 and I hate them more and more as time goes by.
    I am not a scuba addict, I just enjoy scuba more than anything else in life

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by jo8243 View Post
    I've been thinking about this also. I have 20/40 uncorrected and 20/15 corrected vision. I thought about doing it but am concerned it could put me in reading glasses earlier when I'm older. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
    That is my issue with having Lasik. I am at an age when my close vision is starting to deteriorate. Wearing glasses I have an easy solution-I just take them off to read small print. Cant do that with lasik !
    My wife had it done a few years ago,really is miraculous what it can do.

Grouper Founding Member
    I figure in a few years I'm going to need bifocals, so if I get the Lasik, at least then it will only be reading glasses...
    Scubatoys - My LDS From 1,075 mi Away!!
    ZEAGLE Brigade/ZEAGLE Envoy Deluxe/ZEAGLE Octo-Z....Anybody seein' a pattern here???

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jo8243 View Post
    I've been thinking about this also. I have 20/40 uncorrected and 20/15 corrected vision. I thought about doing it but am concerned it could put me in reading glasses earlier when I'm older. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
    That is my issue with having Lasik. I am at an age when my close vision is starting to deteriorate. Wearing glasses I have an easy solution-I just take them off to read small print. Cant do that with lasik !
    My wife had it done a few years ago,really is miraculous what it can do.
    I was at the same point when I had PRK at age 44. I had just gone to bi-focals the year before, but I usually just took my glasses off to read.
    Now I wear glasses to read small print, but DON'T need them for anything else. For me the trade-off was worth it.
    Bill

My husband and I have talked about him having the surgery on several occassions (I don't need glasses or contacts) but were worried that it may affect his ability to scuba dive (ie. the pressure differences etc) but I am guessing we are wrong based on all of the posts! I guess we can look into it a little more seriously now! Anyone have any problems with scuba diving since having it done???

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information