Thread: raja ampat: liveaboard/resort?

TadPole

raja ampat: liveaboard/resort?

Hi everyone,

I'm off to Sulawesi in late Oct. and figure it would be a shame not to go on to RajaA while I'm out there...(so first 2 wks Nov). I was figuring liveaboard since it's all spread out, but when I look at the liveaboards hardly any of them are there in the first weeks of Nov.! And I was wondering why... if I was cutting the beginning of high season too close maybe? I see from trip reports on the forum that those of you who've been there in Nov. have been at the resorts. So... is there a reason that the liveaboards seem so restricted in early Nov? Would I be better off diving from a resort? And, while I'm on the subject, do you need to bring all your own gear to Sulawesi/RajaA? I'm backpacking, so I usually rent my BC&reg, although I've taken to hauling my own wetsuit ever since a freezy experience in Mexico. Thanks for ANY help you can give me...

Grouper
    backpacking diver, the reason is that that time of year is not the time to go to R4. If you are going to be at Sulawesi in October, you should take a look at Komodo for your add on instead. Let me know if you'd like help figuring it out.
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Shark
    I've been in Raja (Papua region) in October, Nov, Dec and January....found for the weather and vis to be about the same. I'm headed back this October for 10 days.

Look at doing both resort and LOB. The Sorido resort works with the Putiraja. I'm working on a trip next year to spend a week at Sorido and have the Putiraja pick me up for another week.

Diving Raja Ampat

Quote Originally Posted by backpacking diver View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm off to Sulawesi in late Oct. and figure it would be a shame not to go on to RajaA while I'm out there...(so first 2 wks Nov). I was figuring liveaboard since it's all spread out, but when I look at the liveaboards hardly any of them are there in the first weeks of Nov.! And I was wondering why... if I was cutting the beginning of high season too close maybe? I see from trip reports on the forum that those of you who've been there in Nov. have been at the resorts. So... is there a reason that the liveaboards seem so restricted in early Nov? Would I be better off diving from a resort? And, while I'm on the subject, do you need to bring all your own gear to Sulawesi/RajaA? I'm backpacking, so I usually rent my BC&reg, although I've taken to hauling my own wetsuit ever since a freezy experience in Mexico. Thanks for ANY help you can give me...

I don't see any problem with going diving in Raja Ampat in November. It is about the same conditions all year round. I have been there in April and it was just awsome. I was at the Kri Eco Resort. Really Good but a bit expensive. I don't know why there are less liveaboards in November. You can find here information about diving resorts and liveaboards in Raja Ampat.

They said you have to come with your own gear but I couldn't and they rented me all the material so no problem bu you just have to tell them in advance.

Have a great diving trip in this amazing place!

TadPole
    Thanks for the advice! It does all look expensive but I guess that's the price for getting that far from everything...

Thread Information