Thread: Dumaguete Trip Report

Shark
    Images

Smile Dumaguete Trip Report

Thought I'd give a my trip report on the PI. Flight was long from SFO to Hong Kong, only because I didn't sleep. Cathay Pacific treated us well going over, shabby on the way back, rebooked our return to the states and gave us only 1 ticket instead of 2. Plus DH was sick--ended up in ICU for 2 days in Dallas.

We stayed at Atmosphere Resort in Dauin Luxury Resorts and Residences - Atmosphere Resorts Philippines. We were met in Manila by a representative, then again in Dumaguete by the resort. Since I've never experienced island traffic, I was quite surprised we didn't hit or kill anyone.

We were met at the gate by staff, our luggage disappeared as we were given refreshing beverages, signed in, then taken to our suite--like a duplex. The resort was luxurious, the grounds immaculate. Our package was part of a group, so I don't have a complete breakdown of costs. All our food was included but not alcohol, which was fine with us. Out of pocket costs were around $1000--Nitrox, spa (wonderful) alcohol and trip to Casaroro Falls. 7 days/6 nights.

The suite was large, the bed comfortable, TV, wi-fi, refrigerator, in room safe, futons inside & out, and outdoor tub and shower! I liked the eco friendly energy saving features. Rolling brown outs daily but the resort has its own generator.

The staff and owners were extremely friendly and Atmosphere is small enough that withing 20 minutes, everyone knew our names. The food was excellent, the portions generous, and if you didn't like what was on the menu, the chef and kitchen staff could make it. Wide range of selections, plus bar snacks.

Now to the diving! This is a resort geared to divers of all levels. The 2 boats are fast, comfortable, well staffed, great snacks, water. The DMs are excellent --all dives are started at the dive center with detailed briefings, maps, and what we might see, which we did. My first day diving I saw a male ribbon eel, sea snake and lots of fish. Because I have some injuries, I never had to climb the ladder with gear on. My first time with Nitrox and having hour long dives was great. No hurry. The divers on air had their own DM and we did too.

Weather dictated a change of sites only once, and limited us from going onto Apo Island. Current behaved except for one dive where it was ripping. Good practice! Missed going to Siquijor. Saw lots of critters even though my pictures are not professional.

If I get the chance, I'll go back, stay at Atmosphere and do trips from that locale. The total for our trip was a little over $9000--$4000 for airlines. Stayed overnight in Manila, which is probably where Don probably got sick. He's an adventurous eater.

I never felt unsafe in either Dumaguete or roaming Negros. The only time I got antsy was in Greenhills Market outside Manila. The Filipino people are gracious, outgoing and kind. When Don told them he used to live there, we became family.

Funeral Jorunna
    Thanks for the report. I'm sorry you didn't make it to Apo Island as the reefs there are amazing but it gives you an excuse to go back! What was your favorite site around Dumaguete?
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Sounds like a wonderful time TS!! (Well except for the flight from Hell home!!) Thanks for sharing!!

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks for the report! Pictures?

Shark
    Images
    Ringed Pipe Fish 6.18~.JPGTrumpet Fish 6.18.11.JPGblue spotted sting ray The Sahara Shallow (1).JPGClown Fish Family~.JPGLion Fish ~.JPG
    -Sea Snake!.jpg@CC-we did get to dive the reefs at Apo--Cogon & Coconut. Missed seeing clown fish city. The best places were the reefs without ripping currents!
    Thanks, Kat!
    Thanks, Dawn. I hesitated to post pictures because mine fall so short.
    Loved seeing the nudibranchs!

2 nudibranchs~Nembrotha kubaryana.JPG

Funeral Jorunna
    Meg I looked at the metadata for the nudibranch photo. You had the flash on auto and it didn't fire. You need to force the flash to fire and you will get alot more color. Also it didn't say but were you in macro mode? Those two things and getting as close as you can. Easy to do with nudis as they move like slugs. LOL

ps: You should have seen some of my first pics. UGH
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Thread Information