Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUI Weight & Trim System Classic and DUI Weight & Trim System II

Grouper

DUI Weight & Trim System Classic and DUI Weight & Trim System II

Diving Unlimited International Recalls Weight Systems Due to Drowning Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: DUI Weight & Trim System Classic and DUI Weight & Trim System II

Units: About 1,454 in the U.S. and 46 in Canada

Importer: Diving Unlimited International Inc. of San Diego

Hazard: Manufacturing defects in the lanyard connecting the handle to the pocket or the cable securing the pocket to the harness can prevent the weight pockets from easily detaching from the harness and releasing the weights when the handle is pulled. This poses a drowning hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: None

Description: The weight harnesses are made of heavyweight nylon and are black in color with gray handles. The DUI logo appears on the pockets. The Weight & Trim System Classic has two small weight pockets on each side. The Weight & Trim System II has one large weight pocket on each side. Systems with large silver stripes on the sides have been inspected or repaired and are not affected by this recall.

Sold at: Diving equipment retailers nationwide and in Canada between July 2010 and April 2011 for about $124.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the systems and call DUI at (800) 325-8439 Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT or e-mail [email protected] to receive a free repair of the system.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact DUI Customer Service between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday at (800) 325-8439, by e-mail at [email protected] or visit www.DUI-Online.com

Note: Health Canada's press release is available at http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/recall-retrait-eng.jsp?re_id=1363

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled products, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11275.html

Megalodon
    Images
    Interesting... Since I have the TSII but mine looks a little differrent than the one in the photo.

Not a lot of extra information on it that I can find, but it seems that there could be a risk of drowning if you pull the release and it doesn't. Heck, I already lookd at it and decided that it would be easier to just open the flap and toos lead out, that way I'm only out lead and not pockets and lanyard and all. Just saying.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    I got the yellow handles, I'm good, so to speak.

Megalodon
    Images
    I'll be giving DUI a call in the morning, I'll let you know what they say.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I knew a lot of people had these here in the forums but was surprised to see there were only 1500 units sold. Seems a lot of gear made in China ends up with a recall notice on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by tk trekers View Post
    I knew a lot of people had these here in the forums but was surprised to see there were only 1500 units sold. Seems a lot of gear made in China ends up with a recall notice on it too.
    I think that is because 70% of what is manufactured and bought in the states is sourced from China. The remaining 30% likely has some component or material sourced from there.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Linedog did you verify that the yellow handled units are good?
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

TadPole
    Ya, cgvmer, mine are good, old but good.

Shark
    guess I need to call them I thought the gray handle ones were good, not sure if mine are gray or silver, looks gray to me but large handles.

Shark
    I agree, think ill just do that either way 70 bucks for pockets F that, heck removing just lead allows for control when going up, I drop my weight im shooting to the top OUCH
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Interesting... Since I have the TSII but mine looks a little differrent than the one in the photo.

Not a lot of extra information on it that I can find, but it seems that there could be a risk of drowning if you pull the release and it doesn't. Heck, I already lookd at it and decided that it would be easier to just open the flap and toos lead out, that way I'm only out lead and not pockets and lanyard and all. Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information