Thread: Akona AKB 188 wheel problems

Grouper Founding Member

Akona AKB 188 wheel problems

Anyone know how the wheels remove from an Akona AKB188 bag? Akona is no help, I contacted them and all they would tell me is to return it to the dealer I bought it from. The rubber tread on the wheel has broken away in chunks and I need to replace it.

These bags are VERY similar to the QuickLoad bags from LL Bean. You might have some luck calling looking for parts from that line. IMO if you buy this bag in the future, by it from the Bean. They warranty this stuff for life pretty much.

Are the wheel mounts in with a rivet or screw?

Grouper Founding Member
    I inherited this bag so I didn't buy it from the mfg, meaning they are no help. When I removed the hubcap it looks like a rivet. I went on the inside and there are several screws holding down a plastic cup covering the wheel but there are also several rivets holding the cup on also. Really not worth it to me to grind the rivets off. I think it is time for a new bag. It seems these 188's are not made very well. I have had a couple friends that had problems also. One the material ripped out the fin pocket and the other the zipper broke. Neither one had used their bag on more then 4 or 5 trips. I will check out LL Bean. Thanks

Funeral Jorunna
    I've had two Akona bags and on both the zippers broke. Akona was no help and I wouldn't buy another akona as they are crap. I now own an Eagle Creek duffel which I've had for almost 5 years with 3-4 trips a year. I bet the LL Beans are good as well just stay away from akona.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I am going to reveal my cheapskate nature but here is the bag I use for trips. For the price, they hold up amazingly well.
    Walmart.com: Travelers Club 30" Rolling Duffel Bag: Luggage
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    Images
    We spent hundreds of dollars on luggage and seems the airlines can find a way to destroy it. Two years ago our neighbor sent in his backpack back to the manufacture because the harness was coming loose and the company sent him a new one the kicker was the backpack was close to 20 years old. Osprey has a life time warranty even against airlines damage and they are built to last. Here is a link to the bags we bought.
    This is the one we bought for our checked...
    Shuttle Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2011: Official Site
    This one for carry on, with a detachable backpack.
    Meridian Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2011: Official Site

Here is what they say about their warranty...

Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer.
    - Dennis ><()))">

I love Osprey backpacks haven't tried their luggage. I had one of my very old LL Bean bags torn up a few years back in an airport carousel. Even though the bag was nearly eight years old at the time, LL Bean replaced it. I am a huge fan of their rolling duffle line. We have the Adventure currently but that Expedition bag looks like a great sport bag.

L.L.Bean: Our Guarantee

Thread Information