Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive diving camera with true HD video

inexpensive diving camera with true HD video

I want to buy my sister a camera she can dive with to a depth of up to 100ft that has true 1080p HD video. The camera has to be easy to use (she sticks with point and shoot above water). I know I'll have to buy a camera casing for her and maybe some lights as well (though she says she'll probably only take video in areas where its not terribly dark but still greater than 30 ft).

What camera, casing, and lights should I get her that won't add up to a terribly expensive amount?

Thanks.

EDIT: I realize now I posted in the wrong subforum, is there a way to move this post?

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Underwater Video Camera By Ikelite discounts on sale Ikelite

I have one of these, sans light, and find it to be good for the first-time user. My intention is to loan it to students during AOW that want to try their hand at stills/video and burn them an uncorrected DVD to play with later.

PPM
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

I would recommend the Bonica over any other ones. I have two of these, taken them anywhere from Blue Water, Florida Caverns, the Cenotes, and Great Lake Freshwater, takes great video. I do have two Ikelite video lights with it. Great little camera.

inexpensive diving camera with true HD video

Thanks guys. Is there a camera that does 1080p with 60 fps (notice it drops to 720p on both cameras with 60fps)? I'm guessing I'm asking too much but thought I'd try anyway.

I'm leaning toward the Ikelite package (less than 2 lbs) cause it looks like it weighs way less than the bonica. My sister hates to lug heavy things around when traveling.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    Underwater Video Camera By Ikelite discounts on sale Ikelite

I have one of these, sans light, and find it to be good for the first-time user. My intention is to loan it to students during AOW that want to try their hand at stills/video and burn them an uncorrected DVD to play with later.

PPM

+1 One of my buddies has this one and it worked really well!
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

You know, I'm a little tempted to go with the GoPro (with another flat lens and a wrist mount - might buy lcd too) over the Ikelite. What do you guys think?

My sister might not go for it though. She already had a gopro at one time and it broke down real fast but reading through the posts here, I wonder if she was just unlucky.

EDIT: just saw a video supposedly made with gopro mounted to the snorkel mask. I wonder what type of mounting they used for that?

Guppy
    Images
    I have the gopro with the "Snake River Prototyping" flat lens and lcd and I love it.
    Shoots great video and takes pics, and I can use different filters unlike the other flat lenses out there.

1080 is 30fps and 720 is 60fps, so it could be better in that regard,
    but you'll pay big money for something that shoots in 1080 and 60fps.

* They probably had it mounted with the headstrap that you can get from gopro.
    For snorkeling you don't have to worry about the bubbles getting in the way like you do diving.

I have mine mounted on a telescoping pole mount from quikpod, or an intova tray with light arms, depending on my need.
    Works like a charm for me.. light and easy to lug around.
    Check my past posts for some pics and video if you like.
    AOW - Nitrox

Barracuda
    Another vote for the GoPro HD with a flat lens! Just make sure your computer can handle r5 (1920 x 1080). My home computer chokes at that resolution. Shooting in r1 or r3 (840 x 480 or 1280 x 720) @ 60fps is not a bad idea since it gives you a nice smooth slow motion feel and the quality is outstanding. Also r3 gives you a wider angle than r5, which is extremely nice underwater.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeFever View Post
    I have the gopro with the "Snake River Prototyping" flat lens and lcd and I love it.
    Did you buy the complete housing, or just the adapter/lens and install it yourself?
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Well, it turns out my sister is against the gopro right now. She had one before and it broke on her the first time she used it and they refused to give her a refund.

Plus she doesn't like the small buttons saying that since she cold water dives and has to wear those gloves, the buttons are just too small ( a little confused about that - she was only snorkeling back with her first gopro, maybe she wasn't using the underwater casing?). And she doesn't like how everything is in code or something like number one represents something and you have to just remember that 1 represents that. And she complains about the lack of zoom.

Ikelite seems to be the winner even though it feels a little like Gopro can do just as much (besides the zoom) with more mounting options at half the price. I'm going to go into a best buy today to see if maybe these things she's complaining about have been fixed with the newer version or if she just didn't know any better after only using it once before it broke.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information