Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fins for a bum knee

Fins for a bum knee

Hello,

I'm new to scuba diving and have an old sports injury to my knee. I am looking for a fin for an middle aged fat guy with a bad knee. I'm working on the fat part but the knee I'm stuck with. I'm kind of on a budget of around 100'ish dollars (preferably less) but may spend more if the fin is worth it. I currently have the Aeris mako and they are not doing the trick. Also, I'm looking for an open healed fin since I chose to go with boots.

Any help and advise is appreciated

Grouper
    my instructor told me that split fins are easier on the knees.
    being cheap myself, i am still using 30 y/o paddle fins, so i don't know from first knee experience
    I ONLY APPOLIGE FOR MY SPELLING!

Barracuda
    Images
    The Apollo Bios are probably one of the best for being easy on the knees but the cost well over the 100.00 budget, but you can find them used in that range. Split fins are generally easier on the legs and knees and they are a number of good ones on the market. Also, the Hot Shots by Aqualung would also fit the bill and they are adjustable.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Split fins are much easier on the legs and the knees especially for us older guys. I use the Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins, and they work well. I am new to diving and don't have experience with a broad range of fins. I bought mine based on the instructor's recommendation and it turned out to be one of the best pieces of advice since I started diving. It is much easier than paddle fins. Paddle fins/ split fins each have their pros and cons. For my style and level of diving the split fins have been the right answer.

Another vote for split fins...
    I got some Tusa Zoom Xpert fins on eBay for $30 because they had a broken strap - $11 for some spring straps and I was in business.
    Last edited by PTAaron; 07-27-2011 at 13:53.
    -Aaron

PTAaron,

Do you have any good exercises to rehab a bum knee for finning? Would you recommend these exercises for SCUBA conditioning with okay knees? The reason I'm asking is that while I'm good friends with the squat rack, if I haven't been diving, my quads will still be sore after a dive with moderate finning.
    Chilly

Grouper
    Images
    I myself have knee issues. I used to use the split fins but as diving progressed so did the kicks. So, the splits went away and I settled on the Dive Rite EXP. They are light weight, bouyant and comfortable. If you do more than a scissor, flutter kick you may want to consider a paddle but if not split fins are easier on the knees. I used the SP twin jets.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Barracuda
    Images
    Here is a lab test of fins...

18 New Fins | Scuba Diving Magazine

The Atomic Smokes and Apollo Bios are the top performers. I have used both and prefer the Apollo, the Atomic are just to long when trying to get ready in cramped boats.

I own a set of Mor-Fin and didn't realize they rated as well as they did. They beat the Twin Jets in 2 or three areas tested and it was only .1 slower. Mor-Fin has come out a all new model that lot faster than the old ones. Not bad since they fit in carry on with room left over and very easy on your legs.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Had knee surgery 11+ years ago, prior to starting up diving. When the DH & I took up snorkeling, a LDS owner suggested the Apollo bio-fins, which is what he used, after having surgery on both knees. Ended up buying them, and then a few years later took up snorkeling. We both still have those same bio-fins. After nearly 400 dives and a couple years of vacation snorkeling, they're still going strong. And from day 1, they were easy on my bum knee. Although they were a tad pricey, I would say we've seriously gotten our money's worth out of them!

Guppy
    I find that the APS Mantaray Fins are easy on the knees and you can find them for around $100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information