• Needs work

9 14.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: swimming

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    The Y has fantastic resources for swimmers, adult swim classes, stroke clinics, etc. My bro started out there, we all did. And it will help you, it is helping my ex runner's knees.
    I wonder if they would frown on using full scuba gear, I feel much more comfortable under the water than on the surface.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwink View Post
    I wonder if they would frown on using full scuba gear, I feel much more comfortable under the water than on the surface.
    I've actually wondered that about Lifetime Fitness... wonder if anyone would say anything if I showed up with my BC, tank, mask, and fins and started doing laps just under the surface.
    -Aaron

Grouper
    Images
    thanks for the replies

here's two follow-up questiions.

what criteria determines a excellent,good or fair swimmer? distance? if so how much a mile? half mile?. time? non stop for 30 minutes? an hour?

also in your opinion what is the easiest stroke to master and why? I have been working on the crawl and it seems difficult to get the breathing technique down.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Give the breaststroke a go around. It's a little more complicated of a technique to master and is slower in the water, but it's a great resting stroke. Once you've mastered it, you can alternate it with the freestyle (front crawl) to catch your breath while maintaining a good pace.

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    thanks for the replies

here's two follow-up questiions.

what criteria determines a excellent,good or fair swimmer? distance? if so how much a mile? half mile?. time? non stop for 30 minutes? an hour?

also in your opinion what is the easiest stroke to master and why? I have been working on the crawl and it seems difficult to get the breathing technique down.
    Body type will have something to do with which strokes you do best. Tall and skinny? Maybe freestyle. Shorter and more compact? Maybe breast? My best seems to be backstroke. I am tall, have long arms and legs, and when I am on my back, my PFDs don't give me the drag that they do when i am doing freestyle. So do them all and figure out what your body does best.

As for freestyle breathing. Start with a high breath to stroke ratio, and go from there. I started out taking too few breaths and I got toasted. And dont' worry about it if you can't breathe on both sides. Most can't. As long as you are rotating your body well to the side you don't breathe on, it will be fine.

Grouper
    Images
    no breasts to get in the way just belly but thanks for the advice I tried the backstroke today and that worked really well

I'm sure my technique needs work but it was very relaxing and I was able to swim for a long time using this stroke

Grouper
    Images
    ok after less than a week going to the gym everyday and spending an hour to hour/ half in the pool I'm upgrading myself to fair. I found two strokes that I can live with the backstroke(thanks Lulubelle) and the heads-up crawl (yes that's real). I can alternate these two for quite a while without having to stop.

i also lost 4.5-5 lbs in less than a week without changing my eating habits. my goal is the 400 yards swim without stopping an losing another 30 lbs by the end of the year.

Guppy
    I just swim a couple laps in the pool with a mask and snorkel on. Pretty fun and relaxing

Hard to measure what makes a "good" swimmer. For some it is stamina over time however in a heavy current efficiency is probably king with stamina coming in second. I can swim for hours slowly but due to my bulk cannot swim efficiently. In heavy current without fins, I am riding the current. With fins, I will tire much more quickly than a streamlined swimmer despite being very strong.

Pool swimming is rarely a good measure of a swimmers ability IMO. I can swim for hours non-stop without current. I float easily, my weight on land has built some huge muscles so once I am near weightless I have tons of power and stamina. That all gets knocked back in real current. One minor advantage is on the tired diver tow; I can pull someone along with relative ease for long distances relatively quickly. At least in a pool

If measuring by the "who would drown first swimming in the ocean" scenario, it probably wouldn't be me. I float, have more "padding" than most and extra calories to protect me from the cold which is what will get most "excellent" swimmers.

Grouper
    So much of swimming is technique based. I used to train with an ex-national squad swimmer. He was seriously overweight from years of non-training, but he could reel off a sub-minute 100 metre sprint any day. His 200 metre time was more like 3 minutes!

To improve your swimming, don't just do mindless laps. If you can, join a squad with a coach. You'll be more motivated, have more fun and improve your technique.
    Last edited by Tassie Diver; 08-17-2011 at 00:02. Reason: sleplnig
    Cheers, TD.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information