14 22.58%
  • Needs work

9 14.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: swimming

Grouper
    Images
    There was a lady at the gym yesterday that must have done 50 freestyle laps without stopping. I am amazed at the ability some have.

she was the smoothest swimmer i've ever seen in person.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    There was a lady at the gym yesterday that must have done 50 freestyle laps without stopping. I am amazed at the ability some have.

she was the smoothest swimmer i've ever seen in person.
    Yep, people like that are a joy to watch. If you see her again, count the number of strokes she does per lap. An efficient swimmer will travel further than their own height for each stroke. I've been fortunate enough to see some of Australia's best swimmers compete and the amazing thing is how far they travel per stroke.

The other important benefit of good technique is that it can prevent overuse injury.
    Cheers, TD.

TadPole
    I'm preparing to go for my DiveMaster and was told that I have to swim 400 yds in 16 minutes or less (to get points). I jumped in to see if I could even make 400yds and managed to do it in 13 minutes...although I'm sure that I only went half my height with each stroke...

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Only thing I hate about the community pool are the expectations that I will swim like my brother.
    Topless?

Just kidding, here next month, I will start taking swimming lessons. Also at a community center. Realized getting ready for my open water swim test a few years ago, I needed to learn how to swim! Finally getting around to it!

It's only impossible.

Guppy
    I swam about a 1/4 mile last year and it was exhausting. After that I decided to look up how to properly swim, kick and all. This summer I did the same 1/4 mile and it was much easier. I'm not in better shape either - Technique is everything

Grouper
    Images
    it's been 5 weeks since I started this post and I've learned a lot about swimming in that time. watching good swimmers helps me imitate their technique. I realized I wasn't relaxed enough so I've made it a goal to slow down relax and focus on technique and trying to learn to glide. I've found the freestyle crawl to be a good stroke for me and my stamina is getting better. The timing is also getting better and I can now breathe on both sides actually found this to be easier for me.
    my 6 month goal is to be able to swim a mile right now I'm about 1/4 of the way there but I'm feeling improvement every week.

I always realized diving was relaxing but now I'm beginning to feel the same way about swimming.

TadPole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlue1 View Post
    I swam about a 1/4 mile last year and it was exhausting. After that I decided to look up how to properly swim, kick and all. This summer I did the same 1/4 mile and it was much easier. I'm not in better shape either - Technique is everything
    Absolutely. Sometimes for me it's like patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time, except I'm forgetting to kick or breathe rhythmically, or whatever.

I know swimming isn't necessarily required for diving, but it made me laugh when my Dad's first response to my certification was something to the effect of "Wow, I didn't think you could swim that well, be careful you don't drown" lol

TadPole
    I rate myself as a good swimmer. I try to swim 2-3 times a week, a 450 yard crawl, 900 yard fin/snorkel and mask swim and then 300 yards, crawl, back crawl, side, breast and back strokes to finish up a mile---if I have the time. But if anything, I will get the fin/snorkel and mask skin in since that is more specific to scuba. However, the crawl helps the upper body and my heart rate---especially when I time myself---I am not the fastest swimmer, but I am working to improve.

Grouper
    Images
    TulsaNauiDiver

I'm using Gold's Gym in BA since that's the only decent pool in the area. I'm not sure if they will let me bring my fins and mask in to use.

Shark
    when i swim I don't use fins. I do laps with mask and snorkel.. I have to work harder without the fins.. ask if you can use them....if you don't ask they cant say yes....
    God is good, no matter what!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information