• Needs work

9 14.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: swimming

Grouper
    Images

swimming

just joined a gym specifcally because it has a lap pool. realized I'm not a good or even decent swimmer but it will improve.
    also realized diving isn't swimming even though both are done in the water

just wanted to see how you view yourself as a swimmer.

Guppy
    Images
    I am a good swimmer, however I am starting my divemaster and know I can always improve. Their is a community pool a few miles from me that we just joined so i can work on some practice laps 3 or 4 nights a week.
    Broncrider
    PADI Divemaster

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Keep it up, it gets better. I recently started lap swimming after a 35 year absence. Slowing down a bit, getting my stroke/breathing pattern in order, and getting some stroke tips all helped. Body type may dictate which strokes suit you best for speed versus which ones are good for fitness only. Only thing I hate about the community pool are the expectations that I will swim like my brother.

Grouper
    I used to be an excellent swimmer, doing several miles each morning before school. Now I'm so out of practice that I'm probably somewhere between fair and good. Fairly good?

Shark
    Images
    The knee and hip problems and getting back into the pool would help a lot. No convenient place to go for me.

Grouper
    Images
    I have been thinking of joining the "Y" to start swimming some laps. Dr. said it would help to strengthen the muscles around my knees. Seems like it would be a good low impact exercise.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Barracuda Founding Member
    I was a lifeguard at one point in my life and can honestly say that 75% of people over rate not only their own swimming ability, but that of their kids as well. Just because you can tread water and take a few overhand strokes in a row does not equate to swimming. Being a good swimmer involves being able to swim DISTANCE w/o the need of assistance or the side/bottom of the pool. This generally requires a good freestyle technique AND a good resting stroke technique (such as the breaststroke). Being physically fit is also important. If you can't control your breathing, you can't swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwink View Post
    I have been thinking of joining the "Y" to start swimming some laps. Dr. said it would help to strengthen the muscles around my knees. Seems like it would be a good low impact exercise.
    The Y has fantastic resources for swimmers, adult swim classes, stroke clinics, etc. My bro started out there, we all did. And it will help you, it is helping my ex runner's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
    I was a lifeguard at one point in my life and can honestly say that 75% of people over rate not only their own swimming ability, but that of their kids as well.
    Really? I found it to be just the opposite, but maybe my perspective was skewed a bit about growing up amongst a lot of competitive swimmers. We certainly underrated my brother's when he was a kid. He wrote a story when he was 10 and a B league summer swimmer. In it, he was an Olympic medalist. We all patted him on the head and told him "that's nice"

I rated my ability as good, and that's after a few months of work. I do 1.5 miles.

I grew up on a lake and used to be a very good swimmer... a swimmer friend challenged me to a mile in the pool at one time ( had never even considered swimming that far) and I kept pace with him just fine - but that was a while ago.
    Right now I float like a rock in fresh water without a wetsuit on, and haven't had much practice swimming without fins or a wetsuit in a long time... also no call to really do so since I don't dive without a wetsuit in fresh water... Not sure how I would rate myself since I haven't done it.
    -Aaron

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information