Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BCD Help

Shark Founding Member
    Nothing wrong with a BP/W if you find it comfortable and it suits your needs. Like I said, try everything you can and pick what you like best, regardless of what anyone (including me) dives. I'm one of the few folks who freely states that I tried a BP/W and did not like it. I didn't find it comfortable, I didn't like the way the straps felt, I didn't like the crotch strap, and could see ZERO advantage over my Zena.

It's great that you're heading to ScubaToys to explore your possibilities. They'll have all the different options (including a BP/W) that you can try, and I believe they'll even let you take everything in the pool to try it there. Take a swimsuit with you just in case!!
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by photogirlie View Post
    Hi! I am a newbie, and I have read most of the posts on womens bcds. But I thought I would ask my questions and get your feedback.

I have under 20 dives, but want my own bcd. I tired on many womens and mens and have only found the Aqualung Pearl to be an ok fit. But I really want a back inflate, but there are NO zeagle dealers by me, or if there are, they currently do not have the zena in stock.

I am rather well endowed up top and not sure that the zena will fit since my measurements for their sizing chart put me at large, the xlarge's chest size is the same as the large. Also the appeal of the pearl is that there is 6inches to play with if I gain or loose weight (hopefully loose lol), and the Zena, do you have to BUY parts if you loose weight?

Any info or feedback would be great.
    Thanks!
    It might be easier for us to help you if you posted some pictures.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    BP/W is my usual answer for people who say they are having trouble fitting and a "stock" BCD.

I don't care what anyone but me dives. I am just trying to get her in a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Nothing wrong with a BP/W if you find it comfortable and it suits your needs. Like I said, try everything you can and pick what you like best, regardless of what anyone (including me) dives. I'm one of the few folks who freely states that I tried a BP/W and did not like it. I didn't find it comfortable, I didn't like the way the straps felt, I didn't like the crotch strap, and could see ZERO advantage over my Zena.

It's great that you're heading to ScubaToys to explore your possibilities. They'll have all the different options (including a BP/W) that you can try, and I believe they'll even let you take everything in the pool to try it there. Take a swimsuit with you just in case!!
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    It might be easier for us to help you if you posted some pictures.
    Sometimes I really think the gals post that stuff doesn't fit because their legs are too long or their chest is too big just to get the guys going.....
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA View Post
    BP/W is my usual answer for people who say they are having trouble fitting and a "stock" BCD.

I don't care what anyone but me dives. I am just trying to get her in a good fit.
    You're 100% correct that a BP/W fits everyone and is a good option for difficult to fit folks to consider. If my response came off a bit "defensive", chalk it up to me being tired of the rabid folks on another board who push the BP/W as the answer to everything and appear to "look down" on those who prefer something different. I know you're not that way, so sorry if I offended.

TadPole
    Thanks for all the input. I will DEFINITELY try everything....including the BP/W. I'd love some input on the Zeagle weight system. I have to confess that I'm not crazy about it. I like the big 'clip n bag' type weight systems that I've seen. Comments?

I'm off to ST tomorrow (can't hardly wait!) and I'll definitely take a swimsuit. I'll let you know which way I go.

Shark Founding Member
    I had to laugh a little when you said you like the clip in weight systems better. That weight system is one of the huge reasons why my husband switched to a Zeagle Ranger!! We were on a liveaboard in Belize when on day 3 one of his weight pockets with a "sure lock" clip securing it, slipped out and fell into the abyss. I tried chasing it to the bottom to retrieve it, but at 95' gave up the chase when it was clear there was at least another 50+ feet of water below me. He had to put his weight into a non-ditchable pocket for the rest of the trip, and was really ticked off since he was always anal about checking his weight clips before EVERY dive, this one included but lost it anyway. To add insult to injury, the pocket was over $25 to replace!!!

Then just a short 18 months later we did another liveaboard, but in the Bahamas this time, and between all the divers on the boat, we came up with 6 different weight pockets during the 2 weeks on-board. Fortunately, one of them belonged to someone on our boat, but those two experiences convinced us that the ripcord system is superior.

IMO it is so much easier to unzip the weight pockets and drop weights in without trying to cram them into the pouches. It's also nice to be able to use any type of weights (soft or hard), or a combination of the two, and easily use the bigger 5# weights when they're available. The ripcord is super easy to rethread once you've done it once, and it takes less than 5 minutes.

TadPole
    OK...I spent hours at Scuba Toys today...I tried on everything, including the BP/W. I went with the Zena. I loved it! They have to order it, so I wasn't able to bring it home and play with it, but soon enough! Wade at ST was terrific, sticking with me until I made all those choices!

Thanks to all the advice. Greatly appreciated!

Shark Founding Member
    Congratulations!! I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am that you could spend so much time and try so many different options before picking. That is impossible for most of us and just a dream. How cool for you that you could do it and know you picked the right gear for you.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA View Post
    Sometimes I really think the gals post that stuff doesn't fit because their legs are too long or their chest is too big just to get the guys going.....

boys... road kill could get some of you going... behave!!! <|8o)
    God is good, no matter what!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information