Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BCD Help

TadPole
    I have a new Zena too and I am very interested in the underwater adjustment. I loved the freedom on my first dive but my tank kept moving to the left side. Once I pushed it back to the center it stayed there but am curious if there is more to do to secure it better. When you say horizontal, I am assuming you mean on your back? With the zena inflated for the surface won't the bc try to come off? Or do you turn on your stomach to loosen everything? I just got a 80 steel tank because the aluminum was too long - I'm 5'3". Back to the question about bust, that was my primary concern because I am a DD. I now need to find a wetsuit that does not smash me to pancakes and I'll have a perfect set up.

Shark Founding Member
    What I mean by horizontal is face down as you're decending toward the bottom. Once I'm at about 12 feet I start loosening everything up (especially the shoulder straps), then pull my BC down on the sides so the entire thing moves down. Once it's down, I start tightening the straps from the bottom up. The middle straps should be sitting just about AT your natural waist or about belly button level. Once the side straps are tight, I then snug my shoulder straps down. Takes no more than 1 minute to get everything perfect. If your Zena is properly adjusted it will literally NEVER move on your body. You will have ZERO tank roll and honestly will basically not even know it is there.

If you cannot get your BC pulled down far enough to get it positioned right, your shoulder section is too small and you need a bigger one. For the first time ever, I had two women on different charters this summer with Zenas who didn't know how to adjust them properly. I did my little tutorial and the first lady was thrilled with how much more comfortable her Zena was. The second lady couldn't get the middle strap low enough and could never get it adjusted right. I suggested she might want a bigger shoulder section and she expressed how disappointed she was in her dive shop who never taught her how to properly fit the Zena and sold her too small of a shoulder section causing her to wear it too high.

I will also strongly recommend that you buy the lumbar pad for your Zena. It made an already super comfortable BC even more comfortable, particularly when shore diving.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

TadPole
    ScubyDubyDo, I just bought the 12 lb. yellow pouches for my Zena. They are the perfect fit for it.

I have a question for any of you who have an earlier model of the Zena that only came with the mesh pouch on the left panel and no pouch on the right (like the current model has). Have you found a good pouch that maybe velcros around the waist or hip strap? I bought a Zeagle pouch at Scuba Toys, but when I got it home, I discovered that I'm going to have to return it because the straps on the vest are sewn on at each end, and there is no way to attach the pouch, as they are also sewn and not velcro'd. Plus, it looked a little big for the vest. I'd really like somewhere to put an underwater slate and a few other items so that they are nice and streamlined.

Also, have any of you added grommets to one of the pockets or somewhere else to attach a knife? If so, does it work well or get in the way?

TadPole
    Cheri, I've been trying on wetsuits recently, too. I'm a DDD, and I found two that work nicely. One is the Henderson H2 (the previous version, Hyperstretch, works well, too), and the other is the Neosport XPAN (made by Henderson, but costs a bit less). The less stretchy wetsuits fit in well everywhere except the bust, so I felt quite restricted. The suits I listed felt like heaven compared to the others. I saw that the H2s were already on clearance at one local store in Dallas, but not at others. I think that the new year model might be coming soon, so you may be able to find a good deal on an H2 in the coming months. Scuba Toys does still have some of the older Hyperstretch suits on clearance, and I found a really good price on Amazon for the Neosport XPAN.

Shark Founding Member
    Aggie, Zeagle makes a pocket specifically for the Zena (and Zeus). ST may not carry it in stock, but can order it and it works really well (I have the older Zena too). It's basically a stiff version of the utility pocket with the back loops being velcroed so you can attach it to the front panel. It does seem a bit large at first, but since it isn't a thick pocket (only about an inch), and isn't floppy, you don't notice it while diving at all.

As for a knife, I bought a Wekona sqeeze lock knife that I simply looped the blade sheath through my panel just to the left of my zipper. The back clip on this knife has a screw that holds it together, so it's very secure. I can reach it with either hand, which is how I want my knife mounted.

Also, if you don't have the lumbar pad specifically for the Zena (and Zeus), consider getting one. I find it to fill in the small of my back nicely and make a super comfortable BC even MORE comfortable (which I didn't think possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri View Post
    Back to the question about bust, that was my primary concern because I am a DD. I now need to find a wetsuit that does not smash me to pancakes and I'll have a perfect set up.
    I'll 2nd the suggestion of the Henderson Hyperstretch. I'm also a DD and have had a 3 mil full HH for years, as well as a 3 mil shorty. Finally bought a new full as ST has them on clearance at a great price. The old one wasn't quite dead, but couldn't pass on the ST deal. Most comfortable wetsuits I've ever tried on!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    What I mean by horizontal is face down as you're decending toward the bottom. Once I'm at about 12 feet I start loosening everything up (especially the shoulder straps), then pull my BC down on the sides so the entire thing moves down. Once it's down, I start tightening the straps from the bottom up. The middle straps should be sitting just about AT your natural waist or about belly button level. Once the side straps are tight, I then snug my shoulder straps down. Takes no more than 1 minute to get everything perfect. If your Zena is properly adjusted it will literally NEVER move on your body. You will have ZERO tank roll and honestly will basically not even know it is there.
    I'm shopping for my first BCD and I've been eyeing the Zena.
    How easy is it to make those adjustments while wearing gloves? I do cold-water diving in Monterey, which means I have to wear 5mm gloves, and it's pretty hard to manipulate anything in the water.

Shark Founding Member
    I think it is safe to say that the Zena is more of a warm water BC since it only has 31 pounds of lift, which might not be enough for the gear that cold water diving requires.

Grouper
    31 lbs is lots, I was diving steels, and drysuit with a 32lb up here in the freezing cold.

We have a few zena wearers here in the great white north haha

Shark Founding Member
    Thanks FoxHound, it's great to know that 31 pounds is enough.....it's always good to be wrong in cases like this!!

Perhaps this is why when Zeagle revamped the Zena many years ago that they increased the wing size from 24 pounds to 31 pounds. I have the old Zena with the smaller wing, which is more than enough for my warm water diving. G

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information