Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO DIVING at Mount Storm Lake

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images

NO DIVING at Mount Storm Lake

For those who are unaware there is currently a dive by boat only restriction for Mt. Storm. I don't know a lot but what I have been able to ascertain from some of the folks I work with who are in the know and very reliable sources is that it seems that the ever present problems between boaters, swimmers and divers has escalated to a point that the owners of the lake and Mt. Storm power plant, Virginia Power and Electric Co. (VEPCO) have put a stop to all wading, swimming and shore diving until further notice.

While the details are fussy and few it would seem a group of folks were swimming in and around the boat launches and boaters were concerned that someone would get hurt during the launching and retrieval of boat traffic. I have seen swimmers in the boat launch area before first hand jumping from the floating loading/unloading platforms and generally enjoying the boat launch area for their swimming activities.

The boaters concerns are certainly appropriate and warranted and I think everyone would agree that the safety issues involved with having people in the water, and certainly in the boat launch area, during launching and recovery of boats is problematic and ever present. No one wants to see anyone get injured.

Of course the boat launch area is not and has not ever been designated for swimmers in any way and indeed swimmers should NOT be near the launch area at anytime.

So where do the divers fit into all of this? The answer is no one is exactly sure that any diver has been implicated in this current complaint but since swimming is an intricate aspect of diving and the fact that the shore diving entry area is close to boat launch it would appear that divers, in general, have been lumped into the category of swimmers.

As a result the boaters have complained that since they buy fishing and boating licenses they should have exclusive rights to the launch area and the lake. Managers of VEPCO have, as a result, put a stop to all wading, swimming and yes shore diving until further notice.

However I also know that VEPCO, the WVDNR, representatives of the boaters and other related parties are working toward a suitable conclusion for all those involved and that something will be decided. The time frame for this decision is being measured in weeks at the moment but all parties would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

The WVDNR does not own the lake, as many folks believe, they merely lease the boat launch, shore diving entry area and parking areas for the purpose of recreational activities. DNR law enforcement is currently patrolling the area and asking folks not to wade, swim or shore dive.

So unless you have a boat don't plan on diving Mt. Storm. As I find out more details I will post them for you but remember my summer schedule is very busy and I have little time to pursue this particular issue in detail. It is very likely that you will know information before I.
    Last edited by WV Diver; 08-06-2011 at 09:33.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Complete BULL $H!T!!!!!!!

Shark
    arrgh

now what?? Right now it's too hot to dive about 2 weeks ago it was 92 degrees on the surface. I hope this gets cleared up soon. There are 2 separate entrances 1 for boating and 1 for scuba. I say just stop the swimmers. or designate where they can swim...
    God is good, no matter what!!

Images
    I've contacted a couple of the dive shops that use the lake and they are going to explain to VEPCO how they use the lake for training fire fighters, police officers and boosting the local economy with sales, classes, campground fees, the local restaurant and hotel near the lake. Many divers use the campground and hotel for diving purposes. I'm sure divers use these things more than boaters. At any rate divers are definitely contributing more economically than the price of annual fishing and boating license fees.

1-877-728-2243

Shark
    my thoughts exactly!!! I can show them receipts if they would like!!

TadPole
    My LDS went there this weekend to do OW checkout dives and had 20 people to certify. They didn't know about the ban until they showed up after their 4 hr drive. Luckily the people getting certified were part of the local fire department back here and they had enough connections to use the fire departments boat there. The owner of the shop said he has already expressed his displeasure to the WVDNR. He also said he would post more info when he returns today or tomorrow. He also said the surface temp was 95.

Shark
    we need to be polite and express our displeasure and be careful to not burn any bridges. I still want to know what I can do to help!!

Shark
    any news yet????

Images
    Dominion phones are being inundated with calls from divers and at this point it isn't helping our cause. Best thing we can do at this point is 1) Don't call them 2) Cross you fins and hope

1-877-728-2243

Shark
    do the boaters pay a fee to use the docks and boat ramp?? I would be more than happy to pay a fee to dive!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information