Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: German Submarine U-352

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Let me know if any of you want any feedback on the wrecks. I only dive the ones within recreational limits. The sub is not my favorite as there isn't a ton of fish life on it, and I have been on it a goodly number of times now.

The Atlas and the Caribsea are probably my two favorites, the Papoose/Hutton the next, though the captains cannot always get east of the shoals to the Atlas and Caribsea. But when they do, they are usually covered in Sand Tigers.

Some of us locals have a boat going out June 9 and 10, may have some spots left if you are in town.

Barracuda
    Lulu, I will be there Memorial day weekend, hafta arrange a coffee cup meetup!
    BTW, Tigers are awesome!
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Grouper
    Images
    Lulu, I have been to the beach in Northern Florida and the water was brown and clouded. Could you describe the average vis you guys are getting in NC. In this thread they are talking about 100' vis. That is probably in perfect conditions but what is an average day? I picture diving in NC almost like a lake dive; am I totally off base? Also what suits do you guys dive? Is everyone using dry suits or is a 7mm plenty?

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    Clernix.... I have videos you might want to check out. We had bad vis due to storms rolling through for 2 weeks straight prior. That said, we still had a great time for 2 days of diving, and zillions of fish, including sharks.
    https://vimeo.com/album/266754

LuLu.... hey girl. We do still plan to come back out to NC, we have just been a little strapped financially. When we get dates, we will let you know so we can get together and dive!

robin

Guppy
    Many of the offshore wrecks lie in the Gulf Stream, especially during the summer when it shifts to the West. Here is a link to my pictures of the U352: U-352

It is a unique dive. We have a three day trip scheduled for early July with Discovery Dive Center.

TadPole
    Wow, this looks like a fun and challenging dive. I'm jealous!

Guppy
    I'm trying to find the money to get down there with my LDS. A little pricey (for me) but great diving!! Saturday 6/9 - Saturday 6/16

I'm thinking I'll be doing less than the full 7 days maybe 2 possibly 3 days.

Jun. 9, 2012 - MOREHEAD CITY NORTH CAROLINA TRIP
    Jun. 9, 2012 - MOREHEAD CITY NORTH CAROLINA TRIP Dive the “Graveyard of the Atlantic” with Giant Stride Dive Shop. I come back here every year because the diving is that good. Great wrecks, Sand Tiger Sharks, good pricing and great viz! The first leg of the trip when we start diving is Saturday 6/9 - Saturday 6/16 diving out of Olympus Dive Center on awesome wrecks at 80 to 130 fsw, viz is 40 to 100 ft. Water temp. is in the 80's! You can view the wrecks we will dive at Olympus Dive Center I drive down so I can take my own tanks and gear. (you can rent tanks and lead from Olympus if you Fly & don't want to drive.) Morehead is a 14 hour drive. Must have an Advanced Open Water Cert., SMB, safety sausage or liftbag, whistle and redundsant airsource. Hyperbaric Insurance is also mandatory! Call 401-7three2-8808 or come in and sign up, and leave a deposit to insure your spot. Deposits constitute a commitment and are non refundable. Cost is $135.00 per day for diving $35.00 per nite for lodging at the bunk house. Cost is $170.00 per day for 7 days of diving and lodging or just 1190.00 if you make a $350.00 deposit before March 1,2012. Cost is $180.00 per day or $1260.00 March 1,2012 or after.

Guppy
    AfterDark,

My LDS has a three day trip with 8 dives that will run twice this summer. I am signed up for the first trip. This may fit your needs.

http://www.indianvalleytravel.com/pd...2_NCWrecks.pdf

Their web site is here.

http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/mai...ge/travel.html

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbdb View Post
    AfterDark,

My LDS has a three day trip with 8 dives that will run twice this summer. I am signed up for the first trip. This may fit your needs.

http://www.indianvalleytravel.com/pd...2_NCWrecks.pdf

Their web site is here.

http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/mai...ge/travel.html
    Hey Herbdb, thanks for the info. My LDS's trip is all people I dive with here in RI. The owner is a friend so I usually pay the price to dive with that group. I've got some deals pending that may happen soon (I hope) in which case I will be going again and will book with IVS for a second trip! Or if I can't swing that trip then I will be boooking with IVS. I like the sound of that..a second trip.
    Last edited by AfterDark; 02-24-2012 at 01:01.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Vis really depends on conditions. I would say 100' is very good. 50' seems to be the norm if there is such a thing. I've seen 75' before and 15'. The deeper wrecks further off shore have better vis. Any of the wrecks in the 50-60' range are closer in and vis will be worse.

I dive in a 5mm with either a 2mm or 3mm hooded vest but the lastest I've dived is October. There's a guy that dives with use that will dive in a bathing suit and t-shirt but he's a little crazy to begin with. In the summer your likely only see dry suits on tec charter where they are diving deeper and longer.

Remember conditions at a beach and more inland are more effected by wind then deeper sites.

I've dived with Discovery Diving, Olympus and with Boddy Cox on the Diver Down. Boddy my preferred charter he knows his stuff and will let us dive how we want when we charter the boat, Olympus is good but they get very crowded and more strick on there rules nothing wrong with that and great if your new to NC diving. Only been out with Discovery once I liked the shop owner but really don't have enough experience with them. I would dive with them again.
    Last edited by comet24; 02-24-2012 at 15:40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information