Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best option for cheap, useful, Primary dive light

TadPole

Best option for cheap, useful, Primary dive light

I was thinking of getting a UK SL4 when I noticed that there was a DYI to LED out there. I couldnt find the right plug-in module to make it work so it brought me to this question:
    Is it worth doing?! I can just buy the 50 dollar light and be done with it.

I wouldnt need anything too massive as I'm primarily a vacation diver who does some night dives and HOPES to get out to north carolina for some wrecks one day.

IF it's worth it, can you specify which drop-in mod is correct for which light?
    I'm new to this and dont want to solder anything.

Grouper
    I just ditched a couple of halcyon scouts and picked up a new hollis LED light......an absolutely great light and very bright.

Hollis Gear: LED5 Torch

it is about 100 bucks though, but you can get a smaller one for a bit cheaper.

Hollis Gear: LED Mini3

Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express

My personal preference is a twist bezel light.....much easier to use.

Grouper
    No, not really worth the trouble, try this Diving Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    If you want to DIY measure the module, find something close but smaller that will fit ie:Cree XP-G R5 320-Lumen White Light LED Drop-in Module (26.5mm*29.3mm/18V Max) - Free Shipping - DealExtremeand make a spacer up of scrap aluminium tube. The voltage has to be reversed on some modules so be careful.
    P.S Try this, XTAR D06 looks good, a friend just bought a couple for video lights.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Barracuda
    Images
    Does anyone here have the Intova with the tail switch? I recently used one diving a Cenote in Mexico and really liked it. The dive shop provided them to all the divers. If you clicked the tails witch once it went to low power and two clicks put it on high power. One of the lights quit working during the dive. The tail switch developed a short. I was wondering if that is a common problem with this light.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    I just ditched a couple of halcyon scouts and picked up a new hollis LED light......an absolutely great light and very bright.
    You did know that off ebay you could of got drop in replace LED bulbs that are 375 lumen for 39.99. I have one older Halcyon that was given to me and I made the switch and it is brighter than the Hollis LED Mini3, Dorcey or the Intova.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You did know that off ebay you could of got drop in replace LED bulbs that are 375 lumen for 39.99. I have one older Halcyon that was given to me and I made the switch and it is brighter than the Hollis LED Mini3, Dorcey or the Intova.
    That I did.......I find the hollis LED 5 has a tighter beam focus, plus i like the overall construction of the hollis led5 as well. I like the double o-ring, and i find it easier to use, turn on and off, stow and un-stow.

Plus, when i sold the 2, I had made enough from them to buy the 2 hollis lights as opposed to being out 80+ dollars to upgrade the scouts

Grouper
    Images
    I own the Intova Nova with the tail switch but have only used it a couple times. So far no problems. Cave Adventurers has a pretty good price and guarantee on them.
    What, me worry?

Barracuda
    I've dove with buddies using the newer Intova with the button on the back. It's brighter than both my older Intova's, with magnetic slide switches, and my both Dorcy's (180 & 220). I still prefer the Dorcy's, mostly because I have a strong preference for a light with a twist head. None of these approach my old C8 eLed+ for the amount of light or my can light (both more expensive). There are several well made dependable lights these days in the $50 range that are plenty bright for most basic recreational dives and offer quite a long burn time.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by SEMO Scuba View Post
    Does anyone here have the Intova with the tail switch?.
    Got 2 of them Intova Compacts (The ones that take AAA batteries). Probably about a couple of years old now. Never a moments trouble with them.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    I've dove with buddies using the newer Intova with the button on the back. It's brighter than both my older Intova's, with magnetic slide switches, and my both Dorcy's (180 & 220). I still prefer the Dorcy's, mostly because I have a strong preference for a light with a twist head. None of these approach my old C8 eLed+ for the amount of light or my can light (both more expensive). There are several well made dependable lights these days in the $50 range that are plenty bright for most basic recreational dives and offer quite a long burn time.

Speaking of can lights....and this is off topic.....I had a little oopsie with my 10w HID......I was changing the bulb and I guess the connector was a bit tight.....I pulled on it and ripped the wire right from the ballast.....needless to say its on its way back to light monkey......I can only imagine what this is gonna cost me haha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information