Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bungee air cell

Barracuda Founding Member
    Has there ever been an actual incident where a bungied wing caused an entanglement or is it just a DIR dogma thing. While I prefer my oxycheq wing, if I had a singles wing big enough to havea taco problem, I think I would prefer the bungie over the taco...
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Images
    with my dive rite wing the bungee's are on the inside if they get entangled there's a lot more that could be entangled first

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    Has there ever been an actual incident where a bungied wing caused an entanglement or is it just a DIR dogma thing. While I prefer my oxycheq wing, if I had a singles wing big enough to havea taco problem, I think I would prefer the bungie over the taco...
    People have snagged the bungees before, but it's more of an (potential) issue in wrecks or caves, tech diving, than in OW recreational diving. A lot of the "DIR dogma" found online is BS based on misunderstanding of what DIR is about and tossed around by internet "gurus." Essentially DIR's basic training teaches a simple setup and skillset that can be used from OW diving through advanced technical diving with a mindset for safety and using the correct tools for the job. Hence, If one uses a properly sized wing for the dives they are doing, then needing bungees on the wing to prevent tacoing becomes unnecessary. The potential of the wing to get snagged is a secondary reason not to use it.

I don't care for bungeed wings for the reasons I've stated here and in my earlier post. I wouldn't shun or refuse to dive with someone just because they used one either.

This is really no different than Windows versus Mac OS X. Depending on what you are doing and what you like, you are going to pick one over the other.

Some people will think bungee wings are better. If it makes you happy then it makes you happy. Like Jack, I have no problem diving with someone using a bungee wing. If they do get snagged in a wreck I'll help them get unhooked. To me having the right gear is really about having the right tool between your ears.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    This is really no different than Windows versus Mac OS X. Depending on what you are doing and what you like, you are going to pick one over the other.

Some people will think bungee wings are better. If it makes you happy then it makes you happy. Like Jack, I have no problem diving with someone using a bungee wing. If they do get snagged in a wreck I'll help them get unhooked. To me having the right gear is really about having the right tool between your ears.
    Interestingly enough, tolerance for gear variation declines as dive complexity risk increases. For shallow OW, I could care less what you dive with. I once dove with a guy swimming with a tank only (no BC, no reg, just swimsuit and tank). He feathered the valve to a 20-25 minute dive. In a cave, I will decide whether I think you/your gear poses a risk to me. My standards are much much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    Interestingly enough, tolerance for gear variation declines as dive complexity risk increases. For shallow OW, I could care less what you dive with. I once dove with a guy swimming with a tank only (no BC, no reg, just swimsuit and tank). He feathered the valve to a 20-25 minute dive. In a cave, I will decide whether I think you/your gear poses a risk to me. My standards are much much higher.
    That makes a lot of sense. At some point there is so much to think about that I start looking for places I can reduce variance and things I have to think about. Reminds me of a story I heard regarding Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein had 7 suits. They were all identical. This way he didn't have to spend time thinking about which suit he was going to wear that day and he could spend time thinking about more important things. Don't know how true this story is but it make sense.

I know cave diving is not for me. I just don't enjoy that level of rigour.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    That makes a lot of sense.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    Extremely well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information