Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cough...Gasp! ..Sputter... Choke...WTH???

Guppy
    The local LDS tried to sell my girlfriend on a million worthless benefits of a completely dry snorkel. It's frustrating when somebody tries to sell you a $60 dollar snorkel with a straight face :/.

Grouper
    Northern California freediver here. I spit my snorkel out when submerging. I like it to fall away from my face so I tend to use a humongous AL Impulse 3 flex with a yellow top for visibility while freediving and working out in the Pacific Ocean.

A mind set that a child needs to keep the snorkel in their mouth and that the child needs to blast the snorkel to clear may not be best. Just tell them if they are ever having problems to spit the snorkel out and stick their head out of the water to breath.

Comfort is utmost when freediving. Enjoying oneself when snorkeling in saltwater means a comfortable mouthpiece, large bore unrestricted fresh air breathing, and no swallowing or inhaling saltwater. Constantly getting saltwater in the mouth for some may be irritating.

We use all types of snorkels for cold water 48-52F Northern California kelp freediving. With and without purge. What is most important for me is comfortable mouthpiece, unrestricted bore with fresh air, does not oscillate when moving through the water, and does not get hung up easily in kelp. A top diverter works for me when in windy or rough conditions with water washing overhead.

Grouper
    I was just thinking for short drops less than 20ft 20sec or so I may keep the snorkel in my mouth. Northern California it can be hard to freedive less than 20ft unless slightly overweighted. Also if wanting to keep an eye on quarry, instead of surfacing with head out of water, I may stick the snorkel back in my mouth at the surface to breath up again without sticking my head out of the water. In general though when freediving, I spit the snorkel out when submerging then surface with my head out of the water. I think most freedivers spit the snorkel out.

My youngest has used all the snorkels dry/semidry from Costco children's kit S-XL through the years. Whether just playing on the pool steps or Jacuzzi to warm water snorkeling in Hawaii. Kids seem to do best when with others doing the same activities. They seem to learn faster and have more fun over snorkeling with Daddy in the pool or in the Pacific Ocean.

Grouper
    Boy this thread was not what I expected.
    To the OP, I wish I had my first Voit as well. I have a semi dry (I think) and would much rather not have to use it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information