Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cough...Gasp! ..Sputter... Choke...WTH???

Megalodon
    Images

Cough...Gasp! ..Sputter... Choke...WTH???

So, I'm trying to teach my son the fine art of snorkelling. A few things came to light: I'm WAAAYYY!!! behind the times on snorkels. 2. I can't dive a "New" snokel like my old "J-tube" type and 3. WHEN DID SNORKELLNG BECOME FLOAT ON THE SURFACE????

In the old days, the snorkel was just a tube. It was easy; breath in, breath out. When you dove down, if you went deep enough, you blew a little air into the snorkel on the way up and that took care of having to blow hard and forcibly to get all the air out. What the hades is dry technology? I damned near drowned diving one of the new snorkels. For starters, why is there a one way valve below the mouthpiece? All the air just went out it as I was coming up. Olso, coming up head first made the dry valve wet and clearing that monstrosity was a biatch too. I want my old snorkel back!!!!

As I was showing my son how to dive down, the lifeguard at the pool was asking me where I learned to do that. He took a course in Mexico and they kept them on the surface for the snorkelling. They were told that the snorkel was there to allow you to keep your head below the surface, looking down and that "Skin Diving" was a thing of the past and not not do it.... WTH????

Dacor, Imperial, VOIT take me away!!!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda Founding Member
    As I was showing my son how to dive down, the lifeguard at the pool was asking me where I learned to do that. He took a course in Mexico and they kept them on the surface for the snorkelling. They were told that the snorkel was there to allow you to keep your head below the surface, looking down and that "Skin Diving" was a thing of the past and not not do it.... WTH????
    Huh? A thing of the past? I don't understand how such a simple operation that seems IMO to go hand in hand with snorkeling can be brushed off 'as a thing of the past'? Sure, if it was particularly dangerous or difficult, but it is neither.

As for the snorkel. I started off with the old J-Tube then eventually upgraded to the type with the one way valve at the bottom. I quite enjoyed it. Made snorkeling in surf much easier as traces of water collected at the bottom instead of at your mouth. Ive never used a snorkel with the fancy doo-dads at the top though... Sounds a bit too complicated from your description

Shark
    dang sounds like some lawyers have gotten a hold on the snorkel makers..
    God is good, no matter what!!

I use an Aqua Lung travel snorkel. The only difference between my Al and my old Voit J snorkel is the barrel is a bit larger and I can roll it up and put it in my pocket.

All these 'dry", "semi dry" with purges are junk.

IMHO

Barracuda

OMG!! Never let kids use the J style snorkel

this is an incredibly sad story; but I have to tell it.

My friend Suzy has recently moved into a neighborhood with an association pool. The pool does not have a lifeguard.

Last month, the neighbors invited her 7-8 yr old daughter to go to the pool. Suzy had to run a quick errand and said she would meet them as quickly as possible.

She ran her errand and was preparing to head to the pool when the neighbor's teenage daughter showed up and said there was an emergency.

Suzy arrived at the pool to find her daughter in the ambulance and the paramedics doing their best to save her.

Here is what she learned after the fact:

The neighbor's 4 yr old son called his father to the pool side from the table he was sitting at and pointed into the pool. Ava was at the bottom, unresponsive in 5 feet of water. Reports indicate that she may have been down there from 2-4 minutes.

It took nearly 10 minutes of CPR to get her to clear the water from her lungs and for her heartbeat to regain. Suzy *thinks* Ava was technically dead for atlest 10-12 minutes.

Ava is not a strong swimmer and had a mask with a snorkel attached to it. By strong swimmer I mean she mainly bounces on the wall, does not have a strong swimming stroke. Historically, Suzy has always been in the pool with her daughter and if she dipped her head under or got the snorkel top too close to the water, Suzy stopped her.

We think Ava, in the pool by herself, bounced into the water and had water enter the top of the snorkel. The snorkel would have filled completely. She then inhaled that mouthful of chlorine water and choked, and unable to stand in the water above the waterline and not a strong stroke swimmer, panicked and drowned.

And, while it is easy (and maybe righteously so) to point fingers at people and hold them accountable, I am convinced had Ava been horsing around with a dry snorkel, she may have sucked, received nothing, and still holding onto the wall, lifted herself up enough to get air. I believe the water entering her mouth and throat unexpectedly caused a chain of events she was unable to handle.

If you are curious, Ava spent several nights in ICU and was then moved to a reg room where she was kept for observation. I believe she stayed in the hospital a total of two weeks. She is going to attend special cognitive therapy for a while, instead of going to school. She remembers NOTHING from the day or the few days before the accident, and has already been back in the pool. Suzy is signing her up for swimming lessons. She has some problems with memory skills and has to relearn different things, but otherwise, she is doing fine.

While I know that the dry snokel is a bit of a PITA for trained and experienced divers and snorkelers, I think for anyone starting out they are lifesavers. Personally, I have a dry snorkel. I had a wave crash overhead during a breath and had to go through the choking and clearing technique. After that, I went dry.

Okay, back to the original thread and whine over how old Navy is getting that technology just keeps improving the things of his youth.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    All these 'dry", "semi dry" with purges are junk.
    I use a semi-dry with the purge valve on the bottom and a flexible mouth piece. Never had a problem, except when I inhaled after half-pike diving from the surface (yes, I'm an idiot...) I prefer the semi-dry, instead of dry, because when I dive, it floods. Dry snorkels do not, thereby causing unwanted buoyancy.

However, to declare a piece of equipment as junk, simply because it may not work for you, is a bit presumptuous. If you try a semi-dry and consider it as a simple j-tube (which it basically is), then you will have no problems with it.

IMHO
    rick

Shark
    change is tough....
    God is good, no matter what!!

Megalodon
    Images
    Okay. I will admit that when I got my first mask/snorkel set, I did inhale at least half the pool more than once, but I did learn...

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

The flexible bottom is nice because it lets the mouth piece swing away when not in use. The purge valve changes how you clear the snorkel. Because there are two exit points for the water, you have to wait until one (the top) is not in the water before you attempt to clear it. Is it better? Worse? Neither, it is just different and requires a different set of skills.

The dry/semi-dry stuff just restricts the airflow in my opinion. Makes it harder to clear the dead air space. I've heard dry snorkels get crushed at depth because the air gets trapped in them but I've never seen it happen. Skin divers never go that deep and scuba divers let it dangle so the air escapes the mouth piece.

'Snorkelling' is now the term for floating on the surface with a snorkel and mask. 'Skin diving' is when you go below the surface and requires actual skill. Skin diving is alive and well. Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding themselves. The fact a lifeguard doesn't know skin diving is alive and well is a little scary.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    I use a snorkel with a purge for snorkeling. Works great. For those that think it is junk I presume it is because you don't know how to use it properly. As with most things proper training and practice is essential. It's worked for me for 30 years. I keep a barrel tube rolled up in my BC pocket.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information