Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Nautilus Lifeline Scuba Emergency Radio/GPS

  1. #31
    Guppy
    Join Date
    06/23/2010
    Location
    Mount Washington, KY
    Age
    43
    Posts
    89
    I got a stupid question...
    I havent ever seen one of these type of equipment before PRB or EPIRB
    Looking at the description on ST, if it is only submersable to 3 feet, how do you take it diving with you?
    SSI > OW 6/25/10 > Stress/Rescue 7/11/11

  2. #32
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/10/2007
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    872
    Images
    20
    I read it as when the case/housing is open, it is waterproof to 3ft.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

  3. #33
    Megalodon
    Join Date
    11/12/2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,155
    Images
    13
    That's how I read it too.

    I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    You are of course making the assumption that every boat around will have an active working radio AND can pick up GPS from the handheld.
    Actually a diver would only need ONE boat not every boat and I am sure the GPS signal on the surface is an easy pick up for the unit. GPS tech is solid these days and most radios can handle the emergency channel. Emergency response in the states as well as other places can lock onto radio position as well. Also in case of an emergency and an early ascent on a liveaboard that uses these they will likely be monitoring open channels.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    I can see how not having the authorities aware of you loosing a diver could have its advantages. Just as Bars do not like police calls or reports being made on incidences.
    Wow! Paranoid much? These devices aren't meant to cover anything up. If a diver does get lost and calls in another boat for pickup, I am pretty sure that is making the news. Also a diver could easily get carried by current away from a dive flag, this device could and likely would speed up his or her recovery even though the boat did nothing wrong. It is simply an additional safety device that while not necessary could be a life saver in the right circumstances. Worth $300 to a diver... depends on whether a diver thinks they may be that one in 100,000 or whatever the number is that needs it. I can tell you there are a couple of examples in the Diver Down book that could have used this device.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    How many divers has your charter lost and needed to be reported to authorities? Could you quote some statistical data of lost diver incidences that you feel are relevant to the need for this device? Perhaps capitalizing on the fears of the ones that were made into movies? Kind of like what Jaws did for the fear of sharks. Will you be passing them out on your charter too divers just as charters now do with SMBs?
    I don't think this device is related to fear at all just like a PRB or EPRIB is not a fear device. It is just a more practical device in remote areas and a good backup to a poorly cared for radio on a dive boat. Several liveaboards already hand out PRBs for the safety of their divers and for some operations I can see this being standard safety equipment also. Would you want to be the captain who didn't use a tech like this or a PRB and lost a diver in a remote area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Will it be better than having my iPhone in a waterproof case? At least I can listen to tunes while I am being rescued.
    An iPhone is only good if you are in range of a tower and even then you would need a diveable case and another case for top side as waves could easily swap the unit on the surface. Could be an expensive loss if water does find its way in as well. An off network iPhone runs $500 or more out of contract I am sure as well as a couple hundred more for the cases to protect it. Probably better to carry a cheaper throwaway phone with only 911 service assuming a person is diving in cell reach.

  5. #35
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/18/2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast, Florida
    Age
    50
    Posts
    282
    Images
    3
    I'll wait until I get answers to my questions from Mike. Mike?

    Not paranoid at all thank you.. Perhaps he has had to call in authorities from miles away to spend a lot of tax dollars too search for a lost diver. A local incident of a few using their swimie-talkies to be found would probably bring much less attention especially if its on a non-emergency channel.

    They would not need to use channel 16 to hail the boat would they Mike? Boat could assign another channel for search and pick-up? Because why use an emergency channel for non-emergency chatter of "Hey blind boat can't you see my SMB!?" You should know from any drift diving here in Fla there are always those who thought they had to wait to long to be picked up or that the boat did not see them. Like I said, in his waters and circumstances it may work great. In others I see them as a potential annoyance.

    I'm glad everyone is feeling warm and fuzzy about the new toy. Something has to justify the $300 you just spent. I have read one say it may end up as so much other gear in the bottom of a gear bag. I say, worse yet, lost and polluting the water more than the masks fins and snorkels etc already dropped from divers. Do you have a rescue for lost radios?
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

  6. #36
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    07/31/2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,222
    Images
    14
    Wow, I have been away from this forum for a while. It seems the mood has changed. Sad.

    BlowHard, we get it. You don't see the value in this product. OK. Everybody is entitled to thier opinion. Now, get down off your soap box.

    As for me, I plan to get one of these radios. It would be great to have along on those rough days. Especially when someone else is driving my boat!
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

  7. #37
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/18/2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast, Florida
    Age
    50
    Posts
    282
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by No Misses View Post
    Wow, I have been away from this forum for a while. It seems the mood has changed. Sad.

    BlowHard, we get it. You don't see the value in this product. OK. Everybody is entitled to thier opinion. Now, get down off your soap box.

    As for me, I plan to get one of these radios. It would be great to have along on those rough days. Especially when someone else is driving my boat!
    You must be of the liberal mindset when resulting in name calling is used in an attempt to silence an opposing opinion. Your welcome to go away again if you like.. So far it still is a free country.
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    You must be of the liberal mindset when resulting in name calling is used in an attempt to silence an opposing opinion. Your welcome to go away again if you like.. So far it still is a free country.
    Not to start anything but name calling is no more liberal than conservative or rather no more right wing than left wing as I think liberal/conservative classifications are poorly used. We have specific freedoms in this country but being a US citizen under its laws is not living free. It is free-er than most countries though.

    Back to the topic... personally looking forward to playing with the device and hope nobody ever needs it.
    Last edited by Straegen; 09-15-2011 at 23:49.

  9. #39
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/18/2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast, Florida
    Age
    50
    Posts
    282
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Not to start anything but name calling is no more liberal than conservative or rather no more right wing than left wing as I think liberal/conservative classifications are poorly used. We have specific freedoms in this country but being a US citizen under its laws is not living free. It is free-er than most countries though.

    Back to the topic... personally looking forward to playing with the device and hope nobody ever needs it.
    From my centrist point of view the Liberal mindset most assuredly displays more apt to name calling when a view is contrary to that of their own. Willing to admit though your right that the definition is poorly used in this case. More I observe name, signature, and blood lust photo I would come close to deducing one as possibly being an egomaniac. High and tight hair could suggest some encouragement. Funny that he would call me such with the word BlowHard.

    Back on topic: Playing = Toy Straegen. This no toy..remember? It's all about safety.. I do hope no one needs to use it as well.
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    From my centrist point of view the Liberal mindset most assuredly displays more apt to name calling when a view is contrary to that of their own. Willing to admit though your right that the definition is poorly used in this case. More I observe name, signature, and blood lust photo I would come close to deducing one as possibly being an egomaniac. High and tight hair could suggest some encouragement. Funny that he would call me such with the word BlowHard.

    Back on topic: Playing = Toy Straegen. This no toy..remember? It's all about safety.. I do hope no one needs to use it as well.
    The use of play in this context means to learn how the device operates. My first attempts at usage will most certainly be "play" so I can learn how the device functions. Much like I play with a dive computer when I first get it before I go diving. I want to know how it works before I need to use it.

    Also do you have ANY proof or studies that show a "liberal mindset" is more prone to "name calling" or is this just anecdotal BS? Liberal to me means open and understanding which to me would be less prone to "name calling" but I don't think you mean it in that way.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nautilus Lifeline
    By Straegen in forum Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 15:39
  2. Nautilus Lifeline
    By snagel in forum Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 23:17
  3. Nautilus Lifeline
    By ScubaToys Larry in forum New Product RSS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 15:10
  4. Personal Emergency GPS Beacon
    By junzhang in forum Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 21:58
  5. Does Anyone Listen To Scuba Radio?
    By scubasavvy in forum Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 18:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •