Thread: Early November in Thailand, Day Trip recommendations

TadPole

Early November in Thailand, Day Trip recommendations

The first and second week of November I'll be lucky enough to be taking a trip with my non-diver wife to Singapore (meeting some friends working abroad) and then heading to Thailand. Our current itinerary we're thinking of is something like:

Mon (Oct 31) -> Thurs: Singapore.
    Thurs Night -> Monday: Chiang Mai
    Monday Night -> Friday: Phuket (or somewhere beachy)
    Friday Night 7:45 (Nov 11th) -> Back to the real world via Bangkok

In Singapore we'll be seeing some sites and acclimating with some friends who've been living there for a few months. We'll then be going with them to visit a bit of Thailand's interior (Chiang Mai since we seem to be getting talked out of Bangkok). Then we'll be leaving them to go do a beachy trip, meeting up with a Thai friend of my wife. Currently we plan on doing that in/near Phuket.

So, that will give me Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday to scuba while my wife and her female friend (not girl friend ) entertain themselves.

Since I'm going to be with my non-diver wife, I don't really feel comfortable doing a live-aboard, so I was hoping I could get some advice regarding day-trips in the area.

From my research I know I want to be on the west coast during this part of the season, and we're currently thinking about Phuket, and maybe spending a day in Phi Phi, but have no attachment to any particular place. I also see everyone suggesting the Similan islands, but due to me not wanting to do a liveaboard that seems out of the question?

So, can anyone help me focus my search on places to stay with easy access to day trips? I'll be diving by myself, and will probably be bringing my own bcd/regulator/computer/... if that is relevant at all.

For reference, outside of general googling/forum trolling, I've been looking at Paul Lee's Thailand book (Amazon.com: The Dive Sites of Thailand (9780844248493): Paul Lees: Books) and recently Phuket Day Trips | Phuket Dive Sites | Scuba Diving Live-aboard Thailand

Grouper
    Greetings from Phuket, "the register"!
    First of all, you are on the right track in selecting the Andaman/Phuket coast for your diving adventures. You could conceivably do some day trips to the Simians in early November, but the weather and sea conditions are changeable in the first half of the month, and most day trip operators delay the start of their outings, which are undertaken by speedboat, until the water is more flat and the ride is more comfortable. So in fact, if you were to plan a series of daytrips to the Similans in early November, you might very well end up disappointed and scrambling for a Plan B.

My advice for that time of year is to base yourself in Phuket and do daytrips locally. My favorite daytrip destinations are Phi Phi's Bida islands, Shark Point, Anemone Reef, and Koh Doc Mai. You can find dive site descriptions and maps of the individual dive sites on my website (click the link in my sig line to get there). There is also a nice writeup of the local dive sites, with some photos, here on ST: In terms of where to stay on Phuket for best logistics, I recommend Kata or Karon beach areas.

My recommendation would be to get you on daytrips with three tanks for two days and still let you have some time to spend on the island sightseeing and getting some beach time with your wife and her friend, or the three of you could do something really interesting like join a sea kayaking trip. The area where the sea kayaking goes is a UN World Heritage site and is stunningly beautiful--not to be missed!
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

TadPole
    Super delayed response. I thoroughly appreciate your advice and the fantastic link. I put the planning phase on pause for a bit, but looks like I have a lot more reading to do!

Grouper
    No problem. Feel free to post or to contact me with further questions.

TadPole
    My family and I are going to spend 2 weeks on Koh Samui this year, does anyone happen to know what's the diving situation there?

Grouper
    ZB, what time of year are you going?

Thread Information