Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: boat runs over divers and dive flags.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
    I did, but still think your assuming the divers are all directly under the flags. In the end it's a bad deal regardless.
    But in this video I believe there are divers ON THE SURFACE by the flags. The captain of the boat is an idiot. He is not in the boat channel and does not listen to repeated warnings about divers.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA View Post
    But in this video I believe there are divers ON THE SURFACE by the flags. The captain of the boat is an idiot. He is not in the boat channel and does not listen to repeated warnings about divers.
    I wasn't defending the original actions of this 'captain' (using that term loosely). I just think stopping and running in full reverse may have caught some divers unaware that already experienced this idiot's boating prowress. IMO, it comes down to 2 things... a more strict written law about dive flags and consequences for breaking those laws. I'm certainly not a lawyer but the current law doesn't really make a diver warm and fuzzy. If that doesn't change it really comes down to us (the divers) to make sure we are looking out for our selves.

Current Florida law:
    Vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from divers-down flags on open waters and at least 100 feet from flags on rivers, inlets or navigation channels. Vessels approaching divers-down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow to idle speed.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Barracuda
    Doing a little more research it looks like the law in Florida is if you're closer than 100ft in a channel to a dive flag you must idle over them, once this guy realized that it looks like that's what he did, thus I'm guessing the reason he wasn't proscecuted, scary though!
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    The only problem with that is, he wasn't in the channel in any way, shape, or form . . .

- Tim

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    The only problem with that is, he wasn't in the channel in any way, shape, or form . . .

- Tim
    Yeah, "apparently", that "east" pass is a legal alternate route
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    I thought (at least in Missouri) the requirement is based on date of birth. If you were born after a certain date you had to have the certificate regardless of age. Maybe I'm wrong. Wasn't really a concern with us because I wanted him to take it and I wanted to watch along with him.

Snagel
    You are correct, (at least in missouri) my.Boat-ed.com: Get Your Boating License with the Boat Missouri Course
    Who Needs a Missouri Boater Education Card?

• Anyone born after January 1, 1984, must successfully complete a boating safety education course to legally operate any vessel on the lakes of Missouri, including personal watercraft.
    This means pretty much anyone 27 years old or younger has to have taken the course.
    Lot's of people that own boats are going to be older than 27 though.
    Say When....

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post

- Tim
    Actually, it is. It is not the preferred route, but, after doing a little research, that portion underneath the bridge is actually taller (has more air draft) than the "preferred" channel. Many sailboats head through that area instead of the main channel as many sailboats easily have 60-65 foot masts.

Being both a dive instructor AND a USCG captain, it is tough to say the boat truly did anything wrong. In fact, according to the laws in Florida, you are allowed idle speed within the 100' radius in inlets and passageways: "(6) Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway."

http://archive.flsenate.gov/Statutes.../0327.331.html

In fact, you may say the divers were in the wrong: (3) No diver or group of divers shall display one or more divers-down flags on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, except in case of emergency, in a manner which shall unreasonably constitute a navigational hazard.

Because the channel is not limited just to the area where the dive boat was, and the buoys on either side of the bridge mark the actual channel, you could say the divers were posing a navigational hazard and should not have been present there at all.

As far as the sailboat, I think they did the proper thing, given the circumstances. A boat that size does not back up well, most likely has a small 2 bladed or even a folding prop and a 30 hp or less diesel engine. Not only that, the rudder and keel on a sailboat do not make it easy to steer in reverse (not that its always easy in a single prop powerboat either). It appears that the sailboat idled or was even in and out of gear slightly to pass through as safely and as slowly as possible when they realized the divers were there. As far as where the dive flags are, I can see how they might be difficult to see what they are right up next to the pilings.

Anyways, just my 2 cents, but, again, if you actually knew the law guys, you might see that the divers were in the wrong and that the sailboat appears to have done what they could once they were already committed to that route...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

....Beginning??...........OR......The end???
    Nice clear video...

Nice point and counterpoint...

Important for everyone to know of these possible situations; especially when piloting a boat or diving in rivers and marked channels vs. the open ocean....

Life's a risk..Good to Know your risks to evaluate if worth the rewards...
    Only your mental acceptance/rejection of choices make you happy/unhappy................................................... ..........................No other human can change you............ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness................

Grouper
    The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the excuse for the tall mast and the higher part of the bridge is the fact that this happened during high tide, the only time divers are in the water. Any other time a sail boat passes through would be a non issue.

Barracuda
    Maybe I am getting pissed for the wrong reason, perhaps the problem is communication between several groups that all love the water. I am getting the point regarding the slow advance of the boat, however, the vid clearly shows a similar boat traversing the channel. did the cap'n not know his true height and wanted to make sure he would clear, and did he calculate what his clearance in the main channel would be with the tide he chose to sail into. I saw a vid that showed clear disregard, I also might be wrong as I was not there personally. Has anyone who posted been there personally?
    \
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information