Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: boat runs over divers and dive flags.

Video: boat runs over divers and dive flags.

Please note while watching this that the boat from which the video was shot was in the boat channel. The offending vessel, which just cleared the end of the fishing pier, was NOT in the boat channel when he ran over dive flags and divers.

Video

Images
    Wow..simply wow.

Okay, just for discussion sake. Were the divers in an area that they should have not been? Not trying to make excuses for this captain and this should never happen. But, sometimes we has divers need to make intelligent decisions. If an area is typically used as a boat path, what really gives us the right to set up shop with our dive flags and force boaters out of the area?

Again, not trying to cover for the boat captain and we can't really tell from this video what exactly the circumstances are. When human life is in danger there are no excuses. But, if the divers should not have been there they are not 100% liable free.

Snagel

I know in sailboats it can be harder to see a flag but there is still no excuse. What makes it even worse is the fact the guy (and just cannot call him captain) was told about the flags and just kept going.

That is pretty scary especially since I dive there. I couldn't make out what the guy on the sailboat was saying back. I wonder if there is a transcript somewhere because from the reactions it sounded pretty bad as well.

The sailboat was NOT in the boat channel. The depths there are pretty shallow as well. He could have easily clipped a diver. Divers like being under the bridge in that channel as there is a lot to see and nobody actively fishing there.
    Last edited by Straegen; 08-27-2011 at 10:20.

Guppy
    vimeo is blocked on my work lol

Found this little gem in another forum I hang out in. Lots of "captains" saying the divers were equally in the wrong... that may be even scarier than the video.

Sailboat nearly injures scuba divers in Palm Beaches - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Guppy
    Images
    WOW, Just WOW.
    Nav. channel is clearly marked just on the other side of that wall where the other boat is..
    "Beauty Fades but Stupid is FOREVER"
    AOW - Nitrox

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Found this little gem in another forum I hang out in. Lots of "captains" saying the divers were equally in the wrong... that may be even scarier than the video.

Sailboat nearly injures scuba divers in Palm Beaches - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
    Some of those statements are alarmingly frightening. How clueless can you be? I think I have a little understanding of how some of the boat vs. diver accidents occur: "The rules don't apply to me" boaters

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

I find that very scary .... especially since I just dove BHB with Jet & sgj a few weeks ago!!

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Wow..simply wow.

Okay, just for discussion sake. Were the divers in an area that they should have not been? Not trying to make excuses for this captain and this should never happen. But, sometimes we has divers need to make intelligent decisions. If an area is typically used as a boat path, what really gives us the right to set up shop with our dive flags and force boaters out of the area?

Again, not trying to cover for the boat captain and we can't really tell from this video what exactly the circumstances are. When human life is in danger there are no excuses. But, if the divers should not have been there they are not 100% liable free.

Snagel

No, divers were not in the wrong
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Barracuda Founding Member
    So what is the reason the sheriff's dept wouldn't give a ticket? Anyone call the Coast Guard.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information